Offense Boosts Jenkins to First Win for Quad CitiesApril 23, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) - Quad Cities River Bandits
Second baseman Colin Walsh hit his team-leading fourth home run of the season in the fourth inning and opened the scoring in the first inning with a one-out RBI triple to left-center field that scored center fielder Nick Martini, who drew a leadoff walk against right-hander Parker Markel (1-1).
After a 1-2-3 first inning by Jenkins (1-1), River Bandits left fielder Anthony Garcia hit a second-inning, one-out single, reached second on an error and scored on an RBI single by catcher Jesus Montero. Bowling Green's only highlight came with one out in the next half inning, as catcher Matt Rice hit a game-tying, two-run home run to left field.
In a 2-2 game in the third, River Bandits right fielder Roberto Reyes drove in Walsh with the go-ahead run on a two-out double past first baseman Jeff Malm. Garcia followed with a double down the left field line that brought in Reyes to make it 4-2.
In the bottom of the third, Hot Rods second baseman Ryan Brett hit a one-out double but tried to reach third base and was thrown out on a relay by Martini to Walsh to third baseman Jeremy Patton. The next batter also doubled, but Jenkins notched his first strikeout to end the inning. He allowed just one hit over his final three innings and finished with five hits allowed, no walks and two strikeouts.
Montero led off the fourth with a home run to right field - his first in the United States for the St. Louis Cardinals organization. His only previous professional home run came July 1, 2008. in the Venezuelan Summer League. Three batters later, Walsh hit a two-out blast to right-center, giving the River Bandits a 6-2 advantage and their first multi-homer inning of the season.
Quad Cities blew the game wide open in the sixth, scoring on a bases-loaded walk by Walsh, who finished 2-for-3 and led all players with three runs scored and three RBI. First baseman David Medina then hit a sacrifice fly to left field, and Patton followed with a two-run double to give his team a 10-2 lead.
After the four-run sixth inning, the River Bandits' only hit was an eighth-inning, two-out double by Medina, who extended his road hitting streak to a league-high 12 games and tied for the league's longest on-base streak of the season at 17 games.
Following Jenkins, right-hander Kevin Jacob worked two hitless innings, and right-hander Ethan Cole worked a perfect ninth.
The River Bandits and Hot Rods conclude their three-game regular season series at 10:35 a.m. Tuesday at Bowling Green Ballpark. Left-hander Hector Hernandez (1-0) will face left-hander Ryan Carpenter (2-1), with the winner taking the season series. The River Bandits have won the series, two games to one, in each of the first two years the teams have met.
UP NEXT: The River Bandits will return to Modern Woodmen Park for a six-game home stand beginning Thursday, April 26, at 7 p.m. with College Night, Pro Sports Career Day, and Thirst-Day Thursday presented by Rock 104.9, the CW, and the River Cities' Reader. There will be $2 drink specials all night as the River Bandits host the West Michigan Whitecaps. Get your tickets now to watch the River Bandits in 2012. Single-game tickets are on sale at the River Bandits box office at Modern Woodmen Park, by phone at (563) 3-BANDIT and online at www.riverbandits.com. Season ticket and mini-plan packages start at just seven games and begin at less than $50. Call a River Bandits account representative today to choose your seats and get the details of our various mini-plan packages.
Midwest League Stories from April 23, 2012
- Big inning sends Kernels to 8-3 loss at Dayton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bees Beat Loons 8-4 - Burlington Bees
- Walden, Lugnuts cruise past Chiefs, 7-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Fall 5-3 at Clinton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Pedrotty Earns First Win, Hawks Down Rattlers 8-1 - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Offense Boosts Jenkins to First Win for Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Lose to Lansing 7-3 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Rice's Homer All the Offense in Monday's Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Win 8-3; Close out Series Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend scores big win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Golf with the Rattlers; Help The Miracle League of the Fox Valley - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Claim Slugfest Over Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Back and Forth Game Goes Captains Way 11-8 - Lake County Captains
- Loons to Host Wine Tasting Event at Dow Diamond this Friday - Great Lakes Loons
- Siegel's Saturday Night Talent for Tanager Place - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Get to Know the Snappers - First Up, LHP Jason Wheeler - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Announce Youth Camp Dates - Dayton Dragons
- Bees' Granier Wins Player of the Week - Burlington Bees
- Dragons Gameday for April 23 - Dayton Dragons
- Inciarte Named Midwest League Player of the Week - South Bend Silver Hawks
- New Pitcher Joins Cougars Today - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.