Rice's Homer All the Offense in Monday's LossApril 23, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) - Bowling Green Hot Rods Press Release
Quad Cities scored one run in each of the first two frames to take a 2-0 lead with them to the bottom of the second inning. Jeff Malm led Bowling Green's half of the second off with a single, and, two batters later, Matt Rice lifted a ball over the wall in left field to tie the score at 2-2. It was Rice's first home run in a Hot Rods uniform and his first at Bowling Green Ballpark since homering for WKU on April 20, 2011 when the Hilltoppers played the University of Kentucky.
However, the Hot Rods were unable to overcome the River Bandits onslaught at the plate. Quad Cities erupted against Bowling Green pitching for ten runs. In the game's first six frames, the River Bandits scored every frame except one. Quad Cities slugged eight extra base hits in the win, which breaks their three-game losing streak.
The loss makes Tuesday's 10:35 AM contest a rubber match to decide the series. A win will give the Hot Rods their fourth series win in as many tries at home to begin 2012. Rounding out the season's longest homestand Tuesday for the Hot Rods on the mound is LHP Ryan Carpenter (2-1, 3.71). Quad Cities will counter with LHP Hector Hernandez (1-0, 1.04).
Join Hank Fuerst for the Forever Communications Pre-Game Show at 10:15 AM on the flagship station for the Hot Rods Radio Network, 1340-AM "The Ticket", or tune in to the game online at 1340wbgn.com.
Midwest League Stories from April 23, 2012
- Big inning sends Kernels to 8-3 loss at Dayton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bees Beat Loons 8-4 - Burlington Bees
- Walden, Lugnuts cruise past Chiefs, 7-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Fall 5-3 at Clinton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Pedrotty Earns First Win, Hawks Down Rattlers 8-1 - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Offense Boosts Jenkins to First Win for Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Lose to Lansing 7-3 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Rice's Homer All the Offense in Monday's Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Win 8-3; Close out Series Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend scores big win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Golf with the Rattlers; Help The Miracle League of the Fox Valley - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Claim Slugfest Over Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Back and Forth Game Goes Captains Way 11-8 - Lake County Captains
- Loons to Host Wine Tasting Event at Dow Diamond this Friday - Great Lakes Loons
- Siegel's Saturday Night Talent for Tanager Place - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Get to Know the Snappers - First Up, LHP Jason Wheeler - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Announce Youth Camp Dates - Dayton Dragons
- Bees' Granier Wins Player of the Week - Burlington Bees
- Dragons Gameday for April 23 - Dayton Dragons
- Inciarte Named Midwest League Player of the Week - South Bend Silver Hawks
- New Pitcher Joins Cougars Today - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.