Bees' Granier Wins Player of the WeekApril 23, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) - Burlington Bees
Granier started two games between April 16 and April 22 and looked sharp in both outings. In two games Granier pitched 13 innings and allowed 10 hits, one unearned run, and walked two while striking out 11 batters. The most impressive part of Granier's statistics is the one represented by a 'CG'. Granier pitched the only complete game of the Midwest League season to date.
The Bees visited the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers on April 17 for a doubleheader and Bees manager Aaron Nieckula sent Granier to the mound. Both games were scheduled to last seven innings and in game one Granier pitched all seven innings and struck out seven batters.
"Yeah, it was nice. I mean it always feels good. You pitch once a week and you want to go out there and do your best and help the team win," Granier said after reflecting on the opportunity to pitch the first complete game of his minor league career. "It was a good outing."
Granier's sharp pitching carried over into his next start when he tossed six innings of scoreless baseball on Sunday afternoon. The right-hander appeared to use all of the pitches in his repertoire and baffled the Great Lakes Loons' hitters. At times he threw his breaking ball like a Wiffle Ball and recorded four strikeouts.
The Cajun right-hander has looked great all season long. Granier started on Opening Day and led the Bees to their first win, but did not pick up the decision. Since then, Granier has won three straight starts and currently leads the Bees starters with a 1.23 ERA.
The award marks the second consecutive week a Bees player has won a weekly Midwest League award. Dusty Robinson won the Player of the Week title after the first ten games of the season.
Granier's next start is scheduled for April 27 against Fort Wayne. The Bees have two more games at Community Field before their next road trip. To see the Bees in action, call (319) 754 - 5705 or visit www.gobees.com for tickets.
Midwest League Stories from April 23, 2012
- Big inning sends Kernels to 8-3 loss at Dayton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bees Beat Loons 8-4 - Burlington Bees
- Walden, Lugnuts cruise past Chiefs, 7-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Fall 5-3 at Clinton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Pedrotty Earns First Win, Hawks Down Rattlers 8-1 - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Offense Boosts Jenkins to First Win for Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Lose to Lansing 7-3 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Rice's Homer All the Offense in Monday's Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Win 8-3; Close out Series Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend scores big win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Golf with the Rattlers; Help The Miracle League of the Fox Valley - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Claim Slugfest Over Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Back and Forth Game Goes Captains Way 11-8 - Lake County Captains
- Loons to Host Wine Tasting Event at Dow Diamond this Friday - Great Lakes Loons
- Siegel's Saturday Night Talent for Tanager Place - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Get to Know the Snappers - First Up, LHP Jason Wheeler - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Announce Youth Camp Dates - Dayton Dragons
- Bees' Granier Wins Player of the Week - Burlington Bees
- Dragons Gameday for April 23 - Dayton Dragons
- Inciarte Named Midwest League Player of the Week - South Bend Silver Hawks
- New Pitcher Joins Cougars Today - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.