Malm's Walk-Off Lifts Hot Rods to Another ComebackApril 22, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) - Bowling Green Hot Rods Press Release
In game one of the three-game set, Todd Glaesmann put Bowling Green on the scoreboard in the bottom of the first with his second home run of the season and his first in front of the hometown fans at Bowling Green Ballpark. With two outs in the inning, Glaesmann deposited a 3-2 pitch from River Bandit starter Dail Villanueva onto the second tier of the Home Run Grill in left field.
With the Hot Rods leading 2-0 in the top of the fifth, Quad Cities struck for three runs due to two Hot Rods errors. Hot Rods starter Felipe Rivero threw wide at first base to allow the first run to score, and Quad Cities later added two more unearned runs to tally in the frame to take the 3-2 advantage. The River Bandits held that lead until the bottom of the ninth inning.
Jake Hager started the Bowling Green ninth with a walk and ended up serving as the tying run. With one out and Hager on first, Ryan Brett singled on the infield to set up runners at first and second. Taylor Motter then smashed a ball to shortstop that was booted into centerfield, and the tying run came in to score on the error. After the River Bandits intentionally walked Todd Glaesmann, Jeff Malm, who entered the game as a defensive replacement in the top of the ninth, singled into right field to bring in the winning run.
The walk-off win is the second of its kind on this season-long, nine-game homestand. Through the first seven games on this current stretch at Bowling Green Ballpark, the Hot Rods are 5-2 and have a chance to win their third home series in as many tries with a victory over Quad Cities on Monday evening.
Getting the pearl for the Hot Rods in Monday's 6:35 PM game is RHP Parker Markel (1-0, 2.81), while the St. Louis Cardinals Class A Affiliate will counter with RHP Tyrell Jenkins (0-1, 1.69).
Join Hank Fuerst for the Forever Communications Pre-Game Show at 6:15 PM on the flagship station for the Hot Rods Radio Network, 1340-AM "The Ticket". Tune in to the game online at 1340wbgn.com.
Monday night is the first Feed Your Face Night of the season where fans receive a game ticket and unlimited hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos, and popcorn through the middle of the seventh inning for just $12. For ticket information, call the Hot Rods at (270)-901-2121 or log on to www.BGHotRods.com.
Midwest League Stories from April 22, 2012
- Malm's Walk-Off Lifts Hot Rods to Another Comeback - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bandits Can"t Hold Ninth-Inning Lead, Lose on Walk-Off - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels shut out Dayton, 2-0 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- LumberKings Drop TinCaps 7-3 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Beat Loons in Shutout - Burlington Bees
- Dragons Fall 2-0 in Series Opener Vs. Cedar Rapids - Dayton Dragons
- Hawks Come Back to Edge Rattlers in Extras - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Chiefs shut out Lugs, 2-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chiefs Shutout Lansing 2-0 Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- South Bend comes back to snap Rattlers win streak - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Fall 1-0 - Lake County Captains
- Cougars Clip Captains - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels topple Hot Rods in 11 innings, 4-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Receive Pitcher Brooks Pinckard From Bakersfield - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday for April 22 - Dayton Dragons
- Kane County Cougar from '09 Makes MLB Debut - Kane County Cougars
- Bees Lose Rubber Match to Lansing 4-21-12 - Burlington Bees
- Malm Drives in a Pair in Extra-Inning Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.