Nine-Man Philadelphia Union Edge Chivas USA, 1-0April 22, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Philadelphia Union
Following an opening 40 minutes that offered few scoring opportunities, the Union opened their account after a series of dribbling moves by midfielder Michael Farfan led to a cross into the middle. After the service deflected off of Chivas defender James Riley, Adu opportunistically back-heeled the ball into the side netting for a 1-0 Philadelphia advantage
Chivas nearly leveled two minutes later when midfielder Nick LaBrocca launched a shot from nearly 20 yards that forced a save from MacMath.
The second half was a physical affair, with both Keon Daniel and Gabriel Farfan receiving red cards in the 75th and 85th minutes, respectively. Daniel received a straight red for a studs-up challenge on the Goats' Ryan Smith, while Farfan was red-carded after a hard tackle on Riley. Farfan's challenge led to a scuffle between both teams, which saw Union manager Peter Nowak ejected after entering the field of play.
Earlier in the match, Chivas USA brought on Juan Pablo ï¿½ngel in the 63rd minute to try to break through. The Colombian, who missed five matches with concussion symptoms, came on for Paolo Cardozo, who made his Chivas USA debut after recently being acquired in a trade with the LA Galaxy
ï¿½ngel, who was making his second appearance this season, made an immediate impact creating two scoring opportunities in his first five minutes of action. The best one came from a cross by Miller Bolanos that found Angel with space in the area, but his header drifted wide.
Despite playing with nine men to finish the game, the Union held on for all three points, the club's first winning streak since May 28, 2011. Philadelphia's current unbeaten streak of three will be tested when the club returns to action next Saturday against the San Jose Earthquakes at PPL Park.
Major League Soccer Stories from April 22, 2012
- Timbers Defeat Whitecaps FC 3-0 in MLS Reserve League - Portland Timbers
- New York Falls to D.C. United, 4-1 - New York Red Bulls
- RSL drops second consecutive game - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers End Sporting KC Winning Streak with 1-0 Victory - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Falls 1-0 to Whitecaps in Vancouver - FC Dallas
- Nine-Man Philadelphia Union Edge Chivas USA, 1-0 - Philadelphia Union
- Earthquakes Grab First Place in Western Conference - San Jose Earthquakes
- Vancouver defeats FC Dallas 0 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting KC Winning Streak Snapped in 1-0 Defeat at Portland Timbers - Sporting Kansas City
- Dynamo play to a draw - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.