Lumberjacks to Add West Michigan NativeApril 18, 2012 - United States Hockey League (USHL) Muskegon Lumberjacks
McDonald's addition will fulfill the "future considerations" portion of the deal that brought defenseman Michael Brodzinski to Muskegon in exchange for blueliner Nick Seeler. In accordance with USHL rules, McDonald cannot be officially added to the roster until May 22, the day of the league's Entry Draft.
McDonald started the 2011-12 season in Kalamazoo with the Jr. K-Wings of the North American Hockey League, lighting up the Tier II circuit with 10 goals and 15 total points in 12 games. Des Moines took notice and traded for him in late October, after which McDonald skated in 46 matches, posting 18 points (12 goals) in his first USHL season.
McDonald will return to West Michigan to continue his junior hockey career, and the 5-foot-9 19-year-old will play college hockey close to home as well; he committed last November to Ferris State University in nearby Big Rapids, Mich.
The Ferris State Bulldogs just completed the finest season in program history, winning the CCHA regular-season title and advancing to their first-ever Frozen Four before bowing to No. 1 Boston College in the NCAA Division I championship game.
As part of the February trade, the Lumberjacks also picked up Des Moines' first round pick in the Entry Draft, giving them the second and third overall selections after Sioux Falls chooses first. Brodzinski, a University of Minnesota recruit, played three games for the Lumberjacks this season, recording an assist and five shots on goal. The Lumberjacks have reduced the price of season ticket plans for the 2012-13 campaign to just $200! That's an average of only $6.25 for each of next season's 32 home contests, but the offer only lasts until June 16. Contact the Jacks' ticket office for more information.
United States Hockey League Stories from April 18, 2012
- Phantoms' Schedule Set for 2nd-Round Series with Green Bay - Youngstown Phantoms
- Gamblers Weekly - Green Bay Gamblers
- USHL Clark Cup Playoffs Second Round Schedule Set - USHL
- Second Round Playoff Schedule Set - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Fighting Saints Announce Conference Semifinal Schedule - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Lancers Announce Second Round Playoff Schedule - Omaha Lancers
- Lumberjacks to Add West Michigan Native - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Fighting Saints Come Marching In For Playoffs - Indiana Ice
- Storm Season Ends in Waterloo Tuesday Night - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.