Ice's Gillies Goaltender of WeekApril 17, 2012 - United States Hockey League (USHL) Indiana Ice
Gillies was instrumental in two wins last week to secure second place in the Eastern Conference and a first-round playoff bye. His 32-save performance in the 3-2 victory over Team USA U17 on Tuesday helped clinch the bye.
On Saturday, Gillies logged a 26-save night and became the first goaltender in nearly two years to score a goal as he was the last Iceman to touch the puck before it sailed across the ice and into the Des Moines Buccaneers' goal. The 6-3 win over Des Moines also locked Indy as the second overall seed in the USHL.
In his second USHL season, the South Portland, Maine native led the USHL in regular-season games (53) and wins (31) while setting new franchise records for career games (78), wins (46) and shutouts (6). Earlier this month, Gillies was named the top-rated USHL goaltender in the 2012 NHL Central Scouting Final Draft Rankings, sitting in the number six spot among North American goaltenders.
Catch Gillies and the Indiana Ice this weekend as they begin their march to the 2012 Clark Cup. Second-round playoff action starts on Friday, April 20 and Saturday, April 21 at 7:05 pm from the Pepsi Coliseum. Opponent is yet to be determined.
Tickets for this weekend's playoff games start as low as $10 and there is a $2 discount for children 10 and under and seniors 62 and over. Tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster by calling 1-800-745-3000, online at ticketmaster.com or by visiting select Wal-Mart and Simon Mall locations and the Pepsi Coliseum box office.
For more information on individual and specially-discounted group playoff tickets, call the Indiana Ice office at (317) 925-4423 or visit www.indianaice.com.
United States Hockey League Stories from April 17, 2012
- Gacek's Hat Trick Propels Phantoms to 1st-Round Sweep of Cedar Rapids - Youngstown Phantoms
- Fighting Saints Win 7-3, Sweep Team USA - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Hawks Hang On, Move On - Waterloo Black Hawks
- U.S. National Under-17 Team Falls to Dubuque, 7-3, in Game 2 of USHL Clark Cup Playoffs - U.S. National Team
- U.S. Men's National Under-18 Team Bests Canada, 5-3, in 2012 IIHF Men's World Championship - U.S. National Team
- Gamblers Pass out Year-End Awards - Green Bay Gamblers
- First Round Series Continues in Dubuque Tonight - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Clark Cup Playoffs Party at Anduzzi's - Green Bay Gamblers
- Ice's Gillies Goaltender of Week - Indiana Ice
- Waterloo Wins Game 1 in First Round Series, 6-4 - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.