Hot Rods Rally in NinthApril 17, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Great Lakes Loons
Martin, the Loons' opening day starter, made his third start of the year and tied a career best with seven innings of work. He did not allow a run, surrendered just two hits, struck out six and picked off his fifth runner of the season. The lefty, acquired by the Dodgers this off season with Tyler Henson for Dana Eveland, left after seven frames with a 1-0 lead.
Ryan O'Sullivan took over in the eighth and worked a 1-2-3 frame. The first batter of the ninth, Jeff Malm, singled up the middle. Taylor Motter bunted pinch runner Juniel Querecuto over to second base. Querecuto advanced to third on a ground out. O'Sullivan and the Loons were one strike from victory when Alejandro Segura drew a full-count walk.
The next batter Jake Hager sent a hard ground ball down the left field line. Querecuto scored the tying run easily, and Segura chugged around from first to score the game winner.
O'Sullivan (0-2) took the loss, while righty Jason McEachern (1-0) earned the win with three scoreless relief innings. Jake Floethe started for BG and allowed an unearned run over six innings.
The Loons' lone run came in the third. Joe Winker walked with one out and was granted two additional bases with two outs on an errant throw by center fielder Joel Caminero. He later scored an unearned run from third base on a bunt single by Noel Cuevas.
The Loons and Hot Rods meet for the second game of a three-game series Tuesday night at 7:35pm ET from Bowling Green Ballpark. The game will be broadcast live on ESPN 100.9-FM and online at Loons.com.
Right-hander Brandon Martinez (0-2, 2.79 ERA) is scheduled to start for the Loons against the Hot Rods' lefty Felipe Rivero (2-0, 0.00).
The Great Lakes Loons are a sixth-year Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers and are in the middle of their 5th Anniversary Celebration, which kicked off in August 2011 and will continue throughout the 2012 season. For more information about the Loons, visit Loons.com or call 989-837-BALL.
Midwest League Stories from April 17, 2012
- Bees Split Doubleheader with Wisconsin - Burlington Bees
- Aces Wild at Modern Woodmen Park in 2-1 Bandits Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Gagnon & Harvey combine on shutout for Rattlers win in game two - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Sano Rips Homer #5 in Game One of Today's Doubleheader - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Rally Past Kernels for Third Straight Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Hawks Stymied by Lugnuts, Fall 3-0 - South Bend Silver Hawks
- TinCaps Win 4-1, Snap Four-Game Skid - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Split a Pair in Beloit - Kane County Cougars
- Winning Streak Halted as Hot Rods Blanked - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Fall 4-1; Trip Will Conclude Wednesday at 11:05 - Dayton Dragons
- DÃ©jÃ vu" Lugs blank Hawks, 3-0, again - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Skid Hits Eight in a Row - Lake County Captains
- Bees take game one of twinbill - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Torres Added to Roster, Carter to Disabled List - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons Homestand Preview - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons on TV Thursday, Friday, Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Kane County Cougars Homestand Preview: April 19-24 - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Gameday for April 17 - Dayton Dragons
- Davis Joins Cougars; Active for Today's Doubleheader - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs win 6-2 over Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Rally in Ninth - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.