Villanueva Picks up First Win in 6-3 VictoryApril 16, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Quad Cities River Bandits
In the opener of a three-game set, the River Bandits quickly got to LumberKings starter Ambioris Hidalgo (0-2), who came in with opponents hitting .139 against him. Quad Cities first baseman David Medina led off the second inning with a towering solo home run to right field for his second homer of the year. After third baseman Tyler Rahmatulla walked left fielder Anthony Garcia reached on a fielder's choice. Right fielder Roberto Reyes then bounced a single into center field, and second baseman Luis Mateo drew the second Hidalgo walk to load the bases for shortstop Matt Williams. The River Bandits leadoff hitter ripped a triple to the gap in right-center field, clearing the bases and giving Quad Cities a 4-0 advantage. Williams then scored the fifth and final run of the frame on a sacrifice fly hit to left by left fielder Nick Martini.
Clinton answered in the top of the third, opening the frame with three straight singles and a two-run double by LumberKings first baseman Jharmidy De Jesus, whose hit was misplayed by a slipping Garcia, allowing Clinton to close within 5-3. Villanueva (1-1) then settled down to retire designated hitter Jabari Blash on strikes and ended the inning by tagging out DeJesus, who tried to score on a ball that got past River Bandits catcher Juan Castillo.
Villanueva (1-1) kept the LumberKings scoreless in the next three innings, throwing a season-high six innings while allowing only three runs and seven hits. He was relieved by right-hander Brandon Creath to start the seventh. Creath pitched 2 1/3 innings and allowed one hit. Left-hander Danny Miranda came on two face two left-handed batters in the ninth and retired them to end the game.
The River Bandits scored their sixth run on a Medina single to left that scored Martini.
Quad Cities (7-4) moved into sole possession of first place in the Midwest League Western Division, as Kane County (6-4) had its game postponed at Beloit, and Cedar Rapids (6-5) fell in Peoria.
Right-hander Tyrell Jenkins (0-1) will make his second start of the season Tuesday night at 7 p.m. against LumberKings right-hander Stephen Landazuri (1-0).
UP NEXT: Two games remain in this week's $5 ticket deal, which applies to all non-suite tickets for the River Bandits games against the Clinton LumberKings Tuesday, April 17, and Wednesday, April 18. Tomorrow is the first Dew for Twosday presented by Pepsi, CBS4, WOC and Q106.5. Fans who bring an empty Mountain Dew bottle or can to the park will receive a voucher for a free 16-ounce soda. Children will also receive a voucher for a free meal. Get your tickets now to watch the River Bandits in 2012. Single-game tickets are on sale at the River Bandits box office at Modern Woodmen Park, by phone at (563) 3-BANDIT and online at www.riverbandits.com. Season ticket and mini-plan packages start at just seven games and begin at less than $50. Call a River Bandits account representative today to choose your seats and get the details of our various mini-plan packages.
Midwest League Stories from April 16, 2012
- Villanueva Picks up First Win in 6-3 Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Win 6-2 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Down TinCaps 9-3 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Waldrop, French Lead Dragons to 9-3 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Hager Walks Hot Rods off to Sixth Straight Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Archie Bradley Strikes out Career-High Eight in Losing Effort - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Lugnuts shut down South Bend, 3-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Grand Ending For the White Caps - Lake County Captains
- Bees Robinson Wins Player of the Week - Burlington Bees
- Bees & Wisconsin Postponed - Burlington Bees
- Austin Wood Named MWL Pitcher of the Week - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars, Snappers Postponed - Kane County Cougars
- Bandits Plan Pro Sports Career Day for April 26 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Amateur Baseball at Dow Diamond Begins Today - Great Lakes Loons
- Inclement weather forces postponement of Monday's Timber Rattlers game - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Team up for "Home Run for Life" - Dayton Dragons
- Game Postponed for Tonight, DH Tuesday - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Gameday for April 16 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.