Ridling's Big Night Leads Smokies to 4-1 Win Friday NightApril 13, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Tennessee Smokies
For the fourth straight night, both starting pitchers were dominant. Smokies starter Dae-Eun Rhee and Generals starter Danny Hultzen kept both teams scoreless through the first five innings.
Jackson jumped on the scoreboard first in the sixth inning as Daniel Carroll hit a home run off the left field foul pole, giving the Generals the 1-0 lead
The Smokies came roaring back in the bottom half. Following an error on Hultzen and a walk to Jae-Hoon Ha, Ridling cleared the bases with a double down the left field line to give the Smokies the a 2-1 lead.
Hultzen (0-2) lasted 5.2 innings, giving up a hit and striking out nine.
Rhee (1-0) would end the night going 6.1 innings allowing one run on six hits, while striking out four, earning his first Double-A victory.
Smokies bats got right back to work in the seventh. Jim Adduci singled to right and then stole second, and would later score on an error by Jackson's Eric Campbell, extending the Smokies lead, 3-1.
The Smokies would an insurance run in the eighth. Following a Justin Bour double, Ridling poked a single to right to give Tennessee the 4-1 advantage.
Smokies closer Frank Batista (S, 4) closed the door on Jackson, striking out three Generals in the ninth.
The Smokies and Generals will wrap up their five-game set Saturday evening at 6:15 p.m. at Smokies Park. LHP Brooks Raley (0-0, 2.84) will take the mound for Tennessee and Jackson will counter with RHP Taijaun Walker (1-0, 3.60). Tomorrow night is Valentines night and the first 2,500 fans will receive a free 2012 Smokies Magnet Schedule. For tickets and more information, fans can visit www.smokiesbaseball.com or call (865) 286-2300.
Southern League Stories from April 13, 2012
- Stars Squeak out Second Consecutive Win - Huntsville Stars
- BayBears Walk off Winners in Whacky Ninth - Mobile BayBears
- Stars Slip by Barons 4-3 - Birmingham Barons
- Ridling's Big Night Leads Smokies to 4-1 Win Friday Night - Tennessee Smokies
- Stars Win Second Straight - Huntsville Stars
- Suns Announce Local Television Partnership - Jacksonville Suns
- Suns Drop Fourth Straight - Jacksonville Suns
- Biscuits Manage 2 Hits in Shutout Loss - Montgomery Biscuits
- Smokies top Generals on Friday night, 4-1 - Jackson Generals
- Generals off to Historic Start - Jackson Generals
- Lookouts Homestand Highlights - Chattanooga Lookouts
- LHP Merklinger to DL; RHP Rogers Reinstated, Assigned to HSV - Huntsville Stars
- Lookouts Blank Suns 1-0 - Jacksonville Suns
- Stars Snap Losing Skid - Huntsville Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.