Linares' Two Run Home Run Wins Game for Sea DogsApril 13, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) - Portland Sea Dogs
Binghamton scored three unearned runs in the first inning off Portland starter Chris Hernandez (0-2). Matt Den Dekker doubled with one out and Juan Lagares reached out a fielding error by shortstop Derrik Gibson. With two outs, Eric Campbell blasted his first home run of the season over the Maine Monster to take a 3-0 lead.
New York Mets top prospect Zack Wheeler was on the mound for Binghamton. He held the Sea Dogs to one run on five hits in six innings of work. He recorded nine strike outs and did not yield a walk.
Portland was able to scratch their lone run against Wheeler in the sixth when Linares singled, Daniel Butler doubled and Linares scored on a sacrifice fly to right off the bat of Oscar Tejeda.
Portland pulled within one in the seventh when Bryce Brentz, the Red Sox 2011 Red Sox Minor League Co-Offensive Player of the Year, launched his first Double-A home run.
Kolbrin Vitek led off the eighth inning for Portland with a single and Linares followed with a two run shot to left off Erik Turgeon (0-1) to give the Sea Dogs their first lead of the game; 4-3. The home run was the second in as many days for Linares, who now has three on the season.
Caleb Clay (1-1) was the winning pitcher tossing two innings of no-hit relief.
Aaron Kurcz earned his first Double-A save tossing a scoreless ninth.
The series will continue Saturday afternoon at 1:00 PM. Right-handed pitcher Billy Buckner (0-1, 9.00) will be on the mound for the Sea Dogs. He will be opposed by Binghamton lefty Dari Gorski (1-0, 0.00). Tickets are available and can be ordered by calling the Sea Dogs ticket office at 207-879-9500 or online at www.seadogs.com. The Sea Dogs mascot band; "The Kastaways" will make their debut at 11:15 AM on the front plaza.
Eastern League Stories from April 13, 2012
- Four-Run Eighth Leads to Erie Win - Erie SeaWolves
- Akron Takes Pitcher's Duel from Trenton, 2-1 - Trenton Thunder
- Aeros Jump out to 5-2 Start, Edging Trenton Thunder, 2-1 - Akron RubberDucks
- Baker & Co. Serve up Shutout Win Over Squirrels, 6-0 - Altoona Curve
- Pahuta Leads the Senators to a 6-3 Win over Reading - Harrisburg Senators
- Linares' Two Run Home Run Wins Game for Sea Dogs - Portland Sea Dogs
- Curve's Baker Blanks Squirrels, 6-0 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Baysox Bullpen Falters Late - Bowie Baysox
- Linares' Blast Spoils Wheeler's Stellar Outing, 4-3 - Binghamton Mets
- Diaz Drives Home Another in 6-1 Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Erie SeaWolves Vs. Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Fisher Cats LHP Evan Crawford Promoted to Majors - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes Vs. Altoona - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Thunder Pitcher Whitley Promoted to AAA - Trenton Thunder
- OF Edgardo Baez Released, IF Zelous Wheeler Joins Bowie - Bowie Baysox
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.