Shorebirds Game Notes: at Asheville (Doubleheader)April 7, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Delmarva Shorebirds
April 7, 2012 | McCormick Field | Asheville, N.C. | 6:05 p.m. (game 1)
Radio: ESPN Radio 960 The Sports Animal | Online: www.960thesportsanimal.com
Pitching Matchup: Game 1 - LHP Tim Berry vs. RHP Chris Jensen, Game 2 - RHP Parker Bridwell vs. RHP Geoff Parker
STAT OF THE GAME: The seven runs that the Shorebirds scored last night were the most in a season opener since the 2005 campaign when they also scored seven runs to defeat Lexington 7-5.
PREVIEW: Following an impressive 7-2 win in the opener, the Shorebirds return to the field for a doubleheader against the Asheville Tourists. Dylan Bundy retired all nine batters he faced with six strikeouts in his professional debut while the Shorebirds offense mustered ten hits and a five-run fifth inning to drop the Tourists last night.
SEVEN STOLEN BASES: The Shorebirds were very aggressive on the bases last night, swiping seven bags. Glynn Davis and John Ruettiger each had two stolen bases. Last season, the Shorebirds never stole more than five bases in a single game. In 2010, their single-season high was only six stolen bases. The Shorebirds have not stolen more bases in a game since at least the 2003 season.
PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE: The Shorebirds drew nine walks in the opener against Asheville. John Ruettiger (2), Wynston Sawyer (3) and Sammie Starr (2) accounted for seven of the nine walks. The Shorebirds finished third in the league in walks last season with 500.
11 BATTER FIFTH INNING: The Shorebirds forced Asheville to make two pitching changes while sending 11 batters to the plate in the big fifth inning last night. The Shorebirds recorded three doubles during the frame.
4 DOUBLE PLAYS: Mychal Givens and Sammie Starr combined to turn four double plays including a stellar one to end the game in the ninth inning. The Shorebirds season high for double plays last year was four, accomplished on June 6 vs. West Virginia and June 10 vs. Hagerstown.
14-GAME LOSING STREAK DONE: The Shorebirds ended the 2011 season by losing 14 games in a row between August 22 and September 5. Last night marked the Shorebirds first win since August 21, 2011 at West Virginia.
South Atlantic League Stories from April 7, 2012
- Tourists Split Doubleheader - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Rally to Gain Split - Lexington Legends
- Crawdads Sweep Saturday Doubleheader in Kannapolis - Hickory Crawdads
- Crawdads Sweep Doubleheader in Kannapolis - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Rodriguez and Gnats Master GreenJackets 7-1 - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Comeback Comes up Short in 11-6 Loss - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Meyer, Barrett Pitch Suns Past Power - Hagerstown Suns
- Lefties Lift Drive to 11-6 Win Over BlueClaws - Greenville Drive
- Legends Rally for Doubleheader Split - Lexington Legends
- RiverDogs Top Tim Hudson and Rome 2-1 - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets Outslugged in 7-1 Setback - Augusta GreenJackets
- Hickory Overwhelms Intimidators in Game 1 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- RiverDogs Unveil Kid's Meal at Concession Stand - Charleston RiverDogs
- Rich Hill, Andrew Set to Major League Rehab Appearances with Drive Tonight - Greenville Drive
- Shorebirds Game Notes: at Asheville (Doubleheader) - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.