Thunder Storms Back for OT Win, 2-0 Series LeadApril 4, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Colorado Eagles
Colorado jumped out to a quick start, netting a pair of goals in the game's first two minutes. Joey Sides got the first goal 48 seconds in following a faceoff in the right circle of the offensive zone. Off the draw, the speedy forward stole the puck from Stockton's goalie behind the net and was able to back-hand a wraparound goal into the cage before the netminder could get back in position.
A minute later, amateur-signee Teegan Moore picked up his first professional playoff goal with a shot from the left circle as he worked a 2-on-1 rush with Gord Burnett, giving Colorado a 2-0 lead on their first three shots of the game. Thunder head coach Matt Thomas called his timeout following that goal to stop the Eagles' momentum, and his team responded with more solid play the rest of the period.
Stockton had a much better second period, controlling much of the play and testing Kyle Jones on several occasions. The Eagles' netminder was largely up to the task, though, and looked like the goalie who led the ECHL in wins during the regular season. He was, however, beaten once on a beautiful effort that saw Matt Foy flip the puck toward the crease from the right point and a streaking Max Campbell swat it out of mid-air from the low slot.
Olivier Roy was just as good when challenged at the other end of the ice, stopping all 10 of Colorado's shots in the frame, helping to send his team into the second intermission down by just one goal, 2-1.
The Thunder took even more control of the game in the third period, out-shooting the Eagles 17-4 in their final push to tie the game. Despite Stockton's domination of time of possession, Jones & Colorado nearly withstood the firing range, but the home team was able to get the tying goal with less than three and a half minutes in the period when Campbell picked up his second goal of the game with a one-timer from the left circle.
The Thunder carried that momentum into the overtime period and it took them just 17 seconds to find the back of the net when Kevin Baker fed Chris D'Alvise from behind the net for a chip-in from the low slot.
ECHL Stories from April 4, 2012
- Reign Even Series with 4-3 Overtime Win - Ontario Reign
- Thunder Storms Back for OT Win, 2-0 Series Lead - Colorado Eagles
- Royals Hold on for Win Over Elmira in Game Two, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Nailers, Wings Split First Two Games - Wheeling Nailers
- Everblades Take 2-0 Lead in Series with 4-2 Win - Florida Everblades
- Road Warriors Beaten In Game Two - Greenville Road Warriors
- Jackals Battle But Fall in Game 2 - Elmira Jackals
- Third Period Surge Evens Up Series For Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Gladiators Slip Past Stingrays in Game Two - South Carolina Stingrays
- Haddad Leads Third Period Comeback in 3-2 Win - Gwinnett Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - April 4 - ECHL
- Game Preview (game 2): Stockton Thunder (#5) Vs. Colorado Eagles - Stockton Thunder
- Colorado's Schneekloth Named 2011-12 ECHL Defenseman of the Year - Colorado Eagles
- Colorado's Schneekloth Named 2011-12 ECHL Defenseman of the Year - ECHL
- Reign Playoff Watch Party Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Blades Pitt Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Rookie of the Month - Florida Everblades
- Ryder Is the MeiGray Group ECHL Alumnus of the Month - ECHL
- Florida's Pitt Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- Reading's Urban is AMI Graphics ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Denny Urban AMI Graphics ECHL Plus-Performer of Month - Reading Royals
- Jackals Playoff Game Preview: Elmira at Reading - Elmira Jackals
- Greenville Road Warriors Game Preview - April 4, 2012 - Greenville Road Warriors
- Stewart Named ECHL Goaltender of the Month - Elmira Jackals
- Elmira's Stewart Named ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Kalamazoo's Sirota Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- K-Wings Sirota Named Reebok Hockey Player of the Month - Kalamazoo Wings
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kelly Cup Quest Daily - South Carolina Stingrays
- Stingrays Gameday: Stingrays Host Gladiators for Game Two Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - April 4 - ECHL
- Thunder takes 1-0 series lead to open Kelly Cup Playoffs - Stockton Thunder
- Reign Drop First Playoff Game in Idaho, 3-2 - Ontario Reign
- Las Vegas Wranglers Win 3-2, Sweep Grizzlies on the Road - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Grizzlies Fall 3-2: Face 0-2 Deficit - Utah Grizzlies
- Special Teams Help Stockton to 1-0 Series Lead - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.