Lukowich Named Texas' 2011-12 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the YearApril 2, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Texas Stars
Lukowich was instrumental in countless community efforts for the Texas Stars, in conjunction with the Texas Stars Foundation. Lukowich started his efforts before the regular season began. Central Texas was riddled with catastrophic wildfires in late summer. Thousands of acres of land were destroyed, and more than 1,200 families were left homeless. Lukowich loaded his vehicle with water, sports drinks and snacks for the local fire fighters. The veteran defenseman also opened up his home to displaced families. To aid in the efforts, the Texas Stars Foundation donated $10,000 to the Austin Disaster Relief Network to support fire victims in the recovery process. Alongside Brad, numerous members of the Texas Stars Foundation volunteered for home reconstruction efforts.
In the first two months of the season, Lukowich and his teammates focused on fighting cancer. In October, Brad and his teammates participated in Pink in the Rink, raising awareness and funds for Susan G. Komen for the Cure(r), while celebrating breast cancer survivors. All told, over $12,000 was raised for breast cancer treatment, research and prevention in the Central Texas community. To focus on men's health and prostate cancer prevention, Brad encouraged his teammates to participate in the international "Movember" fundraiser, where throughout the month of November men grow moustaches to support prostate cancer prevention and treatment. The Stars were one of the leading fundraisers in Central Texas for the Movember Foundation, generating thousands of dollars for cancers that affect men.
Over the holidays, Lukowich and his teammates worked together to sponsor women and children in a domestic abuse shelter to ensure a merry Christmas. A group composed of players, wives, girlfriends and staff, participated in helping selected families have an unexpectedly happy holiday. The group donated more than 25 gift baskets and provided Christmas gifts for members of four large families. In addition to supporting the shelter, the Lukowich family led a fundraiser to hand-paint Christmas ornaments to raise funds for the Texas Stars Foundation.
Throughout the month of January, Lukowich was instrumental in the preparation and execution of the Texas Stars Foundation's largest fundraising event, Casino Night, which brought in over $30,000 for the foundation. Shortly after, Brad and his teammates were on the golf course, supporting the Texas Stars Foundation and raising more funds for charity.
The team captain led the Stars in the community for appearances, encouraging his teammates to visit local hospitals and schools. In 2011-12, he made a special effort at the hospital to visit patients and families alike, going room by room in the long-term care units, making instant fans out of the patients. At elementary schools, Brad and his teammates would read to students, play floor hockey and even sing with the students. In an effort to spend more time with young fans, the Texas Stars Foundation hosted a charity bowling event. While other players bowled with fans, Brad and teammate Jordie Benn opted to bowl with a team comprised of disabled athletes from nearby Hutto, TX.
Not far from military installations Fort Hood and Camp Mabry, the Cedar Park Center rests in a town filled with military families. To show support, Brad and his teammates visited with injured Veterans at Heroes Night Out, and spent time at the recently-revealed Cedar Park Veterans Memorial, which the team raised over $25,000 to support last season. This season, more than $40,000 was raised through special Military Appreciation weekends to support local charities and more than 3,000 tickets were distributed to area military families to share the love of hockey.
Lukowich is now one of 30 finalists for the AHL's 2011-12 Yanick Dupre Memorial award, is named after the former Hershey Bears forward and AHL All-Star who died in 1997 following a 16-month battle with leukemia. The winner of the Yanick Dupre Memorial Award will be announced by the American Hockey League in the coming weeks.
Texas travels to Grand Rapids on Wednesday, April 4th at 6:00 p.m. and then to Peoria on Thursday, April 5th at 7:00 p.m. The Stars return home on Tuesday, April 10th for a 7:30 p.m. faceoff against the Chicago Wolves. Tuesday is an HEB Night; fans may bring any HEB non-perishable food item to the box office and receive $5 off their ticket price.
Individual tickets for all games are on sale now. Tickets are available online at www.TexasStarsHockey.com or by calling 512.GO.STARS (467.8277). 2012-13 season seat packages are on sale now. For more information on Texas Stars season tickets call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit www.TexasStarsHockey.com. Anyone interested in purchasing season tickets, suites, group tickets or mini-plans may call the Texas Stars front office.
American Hockey League Stories from April 2, 2012
- Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Bruins Recall Goalie Anton Khudobin from Providence - Providence Bruins
- Heat Sign Glover - Abbotsford Heat
- Bruins Recall Goalie Anton Khudobin from Providence - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Clinch Division, Set Eyes on Conference and League - Norfolk Admirals
- The Rock Report - IceCaps Secure Atlantic Division Crown - St. John's IceCaps
- Matt Mangene Joins Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Darren Haydar Named Chicago Wolves 2011-12 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Chicago Wolves
- Islanders Recall Donovan from Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- New Season Tickets to Go on Sale Wednesday - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals Sign Maxime Langelier-Parent to AHL Contract - Norfolk Admirals
- Kelsey Tessier Named Whale's 2011-12 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Connecticut Whale
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Nick Petrecki Named Worcester Sharks 2011-12 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Worcester Sharks
- Scrivens Named Reebok/AHL Goaltender of the Month - Toronto Marlies
- Tyler Johnson Named Reebok/AHL Player of the Month - Norfolk Admirals
- Kyle Hagel Named Rivermen 2011-12 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Peoria Rivermen
- Bancks Named Heat IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Abbotsford Heat
- Crunch Center Peter Holland Named the Reebok/AHL Rookie of the Month - Syracuse Crunch
- Johnson, Holland, Scrivens Named AHL's Monthly Award Winners for March - AHL
- Cizikas Named Sound Tigers' IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Campbell Named Monarchs 2011-12 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Manchester Monarchs
- Bracken Kearns Named Rampage's 2011-12 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - San Antonio Rampage
- Ben Smith Named Rockford's 2011-12 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Rockford IceHogs
- Falcons Community Report - Garlock Earns Special Award - Springfield Falcons
- Reinhart and Leach Join Heat - Abbotsford Heat
- Mike McKenna Named B-Sens' 2011-12 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Binghamton Senators
- Jason King Named St. John's IceCaps' 2011-12 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - St. John's IceCaps
- Sanguinetti Named Checkers' 2011-12 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Charlotte Checkers
- Pare Named Griffins' 2011-12 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Eric Hunter Named Monsters IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Lake Erie Monsters
- Helmer Named Barons Recpient of IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year Award - Oklahoma City Barons
- Eric Neilson Named Norfolk Admirals 2011-12 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Norfolk Admirals
- Two Victories Keep Hogs in Playoff Race - Rockford IceHogs
- Mark Van Guilder Named Admirals 2011-12 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Milwaukee Admirals
- McKelvie Named P-Bruins' 2011-12 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Providence Bruins
- Brandon DeFazio Named Penguins' 2011-12 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Whitmore Named Amerks' 2011-12 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Rochester Americans
- Joel Rechlicz Named Hershey Bears' 2011-12 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Hershey Bears
- Lukowich Named Texas' 2011-12 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Texas Stars
- Cullen Eddy Named IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Adirondack Phantoms
- IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year Team Award Winners Announced - AHL
- Rick Schofield Named Syracuse Crunch's 2011-12 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Syracuse Crunch
- Whale Weekly - Connecticut Whale
- Albany Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Wolves Receive Corrado from Canucks, Sign Cannata - Chicago Wolves
- Corey Fienhage Reassigned to Amerks from Gwinnett - Rochester Americans
- Week 27 - Tarkki's Run - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Release Bryan Brutlag - Norfolk Admirals
- Checkers Weekly Report - Charlotte Checkers
- Texas Begins Final Month of Regular Season - Texas Stars
- Dallas Assigns Jordie Benn to Texas - Texas Stars
- Penguins Assign Samuelsson to Nailers - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Hershey's Ryan Potulny Named Reebok/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Playoff Bound - Hershey Bears
- Jets Recall Cormier from IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Ryan Potulny Named AHL Player of the Week - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Clinch Atlantic Division Title - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.