ECHL All-Rookie Team AnnouncedMarch 28, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL)
A rookie is defined as a player who has played in less than 25 professional games prior to the start of the current season.
2011-12 ECHL All-Rookie Team
G - Philipp Grubauer, South Carolina Stingrays (43 gp, 23-13-5, 2.22 GAA, .918 save pct.)
D - Andrew Hotham, Wheeling Nailers (49 gp, 8g, 33a, 41 pts., +11)
D - Mike Little, Stockton Thunder (67 gp, 9g, 28a, 37 pts., +20)
F - Chris Barton, Wheeling Nailers (66 gp, 28g, 30a, 58 pts., +13)
F - Dustin Gazley, Elmira Jackals (69 gp, 23g, 58a, 81 pts., +12) F - Mathew Sisca, Cincinnati Cyclones (74 gp, 23g, 40a, 63 pts., +8)
Since the ECHL began naming the All-Rookie Team in 2000-01, 13 players selected have gone to play in the National Hockey League: Richard Bachman (2009-10), David Desharnais (2007-08), Cedrick Desjardins (2006-07), Kevin Doell (2003-04), Brian Fahey (2003-04), Vern Fiddler (2002-03), Simon Gamache (2001-02), Mike Glumac (2002-03), Adam Hauser (2002-03), Jason Jaffray (2002-03), Anton Khudobin (2007-08), Joey Tenute (2004-05) and Zenon Konopka (2002-03).
The ECHL will announce its First-Team All-ECHL and Second-Team All-ECHL teams on Thursday.
Philipp Grubauer of the South Carolina Stingrays is 23-13-5, and is third in the ECHL with a 2.22 goals-against average, is fifth with 2,536 minutes played and is tied for seventh with a .918 save percentage. Grubauer, who is under contract to the Washington Capitals of the National Hockey League, was named ECHL Goaltender of the Month in November and was the ECHL Rookie of the Month in January.
Andrew Hotham of the Wheeling Nailers is second among rookie defensemen, and seventh among all blueliners, with 41 points (8g-33a). His 33 assists are tied for fourth among the league's first-year players as well as among all defensemen.
Mike Little of the Stockton Thunder is tied for lead among defensemen and rookies in plus-minus at +20, which is tied for fourth overall in the league. He is ninth among defensemen with 37 points (9g-28a) in 67 games this season.
Chris Barton of the Wheeling Nailers leads ECHL rookies with 28 goals and 251 shots on goal and is third with 58 points. He was named ECHL Rookie of the Month for November, and has also appeared in three games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League.
Dustin Gazley of the Elmira Jackals leads the ECHL in scoring with 81 points (23g-58a) and is tied for the league lead in assists. His 17 power-play assists are tied for first among rookies, while he is tied for second among first-year players with 21 power-play points and is second with 220 shots.
Mathew Sisca of the Cincinnati Cyclones is second among rookies with 40 assists and 63 points, and is tied for second with 23 goals. He is tied for first among first-year players with three shorthanded assists and five shorthanded points. Sisca, who began the season with Bakersfield before being traded to Cincinnati, has appeared in 74 games this season. His brother, Daniel, was named to the ECHL All-Rookie Team in 2005-06 while playing with Florida.
ECHL Stories from March 28, 2012
- Idaho Loses One-Goal Heartbreaker - Idaho Steelheads
- Nice Guys Finish First: Ulanski Leads Eagles to Win in Home Finale - Colorado Eagles
- Royals Extend Win Streak with Shutout Win Over Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Express Score Three in the First to Neutralize Cyclones 4-1 - Chicago Express
- Elmira Nips Titans in Overtime - Trenton Titans
- Cheverie's Shutout Snaps Blades Four Game Win Streak - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Fall in Chicago, 4-1 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals Extend Winning Streak to Six on Demkov's Strike - Elmira Jackals
- Nailers Put up 55 Shots in Loss to Royals - Wheeling Nailers
- Gladiators Clinch Division Title with 2-0 Win over Everblades - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Kalamazoo Captures Third Straight North Division Title - Kalamazoo Wings
- Colorado's Ulanski Wins ECHL Sportsmanship Award - ECHL
- Las Vegas Wranglers Raise Over $32,000 for St. Baldrick's - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Trent Daavettila Returns and K-Wings Sign Jonathan Harty - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder at Idaho Steelheads - Stockton Thunder
- Condors Vs. Alaska Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Tomassoni, Tiesling Bolster Chicago Roster - Chicago Express
- ECHL Transactions - March 28 - ECHL
- Forward Kenny Ryan Assigned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Trenton Ownership Transfer Approved - ECHL
- Thunder Defenseman Mike Little Named to ECHL All-Rookie Team - Stockton Thunder
- Matt Sisca Named to ECHL All-Rookie Team - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gazley Named to ECHL All-Rookie Team - Elmira Jackals
- Stingrays Goaltender Philipp Grubauer Named to ECHL All-Rookie Team - South Carolina Stingrays
- Two Nailers Named to ECHL All Rookie Team - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL All-Rookie Team Announced - ECHL
- Game Preview: Express Vs. Cincinnati Today - Chicago Express
- Walleye Receive Fournier and Rufenach from Grand Rapids - Toledo Walleye
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Chicago - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Nailers Announce Possible Playoff Dates - Wheeling Nailers
- Home Playoff Dates Announced - Greenville Road Warriors
- Rynnas Becomes 489th ECHL Player to Reach NHL - ECHL
- ECHL Today - March 28 - ECHL
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira at Trenton - Elmira Jackals
- Ontario Suffers in 3-0 Loss to Colorado - Ontario Reign
- Wranglers Take Down Aces in 4-2 Win - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Alaska Falls to Las Vegas 4-2 - Alaska Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.