Late Rally Gives Thunder 2-1 Win Over ArizonaMarch 18, 2012 - Central Hockey League (CHL) Wichita Thunder
Adam Smyth of the Sundogs delivered the first goal of the game six minutes into the second period with a wrist shot from the slot.
The Thunder responded with a goal from Matt Robinson (32) with 13 minutes to go in the third. Matt Summers entered the zone on the right wing wall and made a nice move to get around a man at the circle and found Robinson who pushed it past Sundogs starter Mike Spillane. Wichita then capitalized on its second four-minute power play of the game as Kyle Hood was sent off for high sticking. Chris Chappell (12) put home a rebound with just over two minutes left and gave Wichita its first lead of the night, 2-1. Arizona pulled its goalie in search of equalizer, but Wichita gutted out a 2-1 win.
Robinson had a goal and an assist and pulled into a three-way tie for eighth place all-time with Paul Jackson and Cory Dosdall in goals scored (71). Summers had two assists and extended his point-scoring streak to five games. Russo made 26 saves on 27 shots in his 40th appearance of the season. With tonight's win, Wichita is an impressive 8-9-0 when trailing after two periods.
Wichita remains eight points ahead of the Allen Americans for first place in the Berry Conference with five games left for each team. In the race for the Governor's Cup, Wichita has a six-point cushion on Fort Wayne with a game in hand on the Komets, who have just four games remaining.
Wichita remains home tomorrow against Arizona before heading out to face the Texas Brahmas Tuesday night for the final time. The Stanley Cup will be in the building tomorrow afternoon for fans to see and take pictures with. For tickets, call 755-SEAT, visit the INTRUST Bank Arena box office or online at www.selectaseat.com .
Wichita Thunder playoff packages and season tickets for 2012-13 are now on sale. A $50 dollar non-refundable deposit is required for all season tickets. Contact the Wichita Thunder Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. at (316) 264-4625 if you are interested in playoff packages or season tickets, or visit the fan relations table behind section 120 at any Wichita Thunder home game. Join the Blue Revolution! _
Central Hockey League Stories from March 18, 2012
- Hogan Closes Door on Sundogs, Earns 2nd Career Shutout - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Outlast Mavericks, 5-4 - Missouri Mavericks
- Sundogs Close Road Season with 4-0 Loss in Wichita - Arizona Sundogs
- Oilers Offense Comes Alive in 5-4 Win Over Mavericks - Tulsa Oilers
- Gems Overpower Bucks with 9-1 Win Sunday Afternoon at Hara - Dayton Gems
- Gems Blast Depleted Bucks - Laredo Bucks
- Bloomington Blaze Weekly - Bloomington Blaze
- Dayton Gems Gameday - Gems Host Laredo Bucks for First Time Sunday - Dayton Gems
- Rush Complete Weekend Sweep of IceMen with Thrilling 3-2 Victory - Rapid City Rush
- Late Rally Gives Thunder 2-1 Win Over Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- Mallards Halt Killer Bees; Mallard Great Gibson's Number Retired In - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers Still Winless Against Mavericks After 3-2 Loss - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.