Too Little, Too LateMarch 18, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Kalamazoo Wings
Kalamazoo came out of the gates firing on all cylinders; however it was Toledo who would score twice in the opening period. Todd Griffith (17th) got the scoring started for the Walleye with his power play tally 11:25 into the period.
A minute and a half later, Toledo would take a two-goal lead with the sixteenth goal of the season from forward, Harrison Reed. His wrist shot from the right side beat Kalamazoo goalie, Riley Gill over the glove.
In a penalty filled second period that featured 19 infractions for a combined 54 minutes, both teams actually found time to score. Capturing their third-goal on a odd-man rush, Andrej Nestrasil (7th) scored on a backhander 8:59 into the period.
Registering their first goal late in the second, Dwight Helminen (4th) stopped in front of the Walleye net and batted in a Darryl Bootland rebound with 49 seconds remaining in the period.
The third period featured the same hard hitting from both teams and remained scoreless until late in the period. Helminen (5th) took a hard wrist shot from the blue line the knuckled past the Toledo's Alec Richards for his second of the game.
The K-Wings, however, where not done. With only 1:46 remaining in the regulation, Nick Sirota (16th) buried a shot from the slot off a pass from Kory Karlander to tie the game 3-3.
Toledo went into overtime with a 4-on-3 power play advantage but was unable to capitalize as the sudden death period remained scoreless and both teams headed to a shootout.
In the shootout Joey Martin tallied the only goal for either squad and to secure the victory for Toledo.
For Game Stats: http://echl.com/stats/official-game-report.php?game_id9441 .
Kalamazoo and Toledo will meet again tomorrow, Sunday, March 18th with a 4 p.m. encounter at the Huntington Center in Toledo, Ohio.
The K-Wings will return to Wings Stadium this Friday, March 23rd versus the Chicago Express at 7:30 p.m. during Celebration! Cinema Night, featuring Batman and Spiderman and a Frugal Fan Friday, featuring $1 Beer, $1 Hot Dogs and $1 Pepsi Products.
For more information about tonight's game, please contact Mike Modugno, director of public relations and broadcaster at (269) 349-9772, extension 220.
ECHL Stories from March 18, 2012
- Thunder rally with four goals, including two by D'Alvise - Stockton Thunder
- Stockton Beats Utah 4-2: Grizzlies Split in California - Utah Grizzlies
- Express Battle Back to Force OT, Fall to Trenton 5-4 - Chicago Express
- Royals Fall to Florida, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Jackals Clinch Playoff Spot After Edging Nailers - Elmira Jackals
- Back-And-Forth Battle Ends 4-3 for Bakersfield - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Kalamazoo Scores a Season-High Nine Goals to Rout Toledo 9-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- How Sweep It Is Condors Win Third Straight, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Titans Win in OT - Trenton Titans
- Success in Face-Off Circle Gives Wheeling a Point in Elmira - Wheeling Nailers
- Road Warriors Clinch Playoffs With Win - Greenville Road Warriors
- Cyclones Close Road Trip with 5-1 Loss in Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Transactions - March 18 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Brutlag Called up to AHL Norfolk - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Royals Sign Defenseman Daniel Spivak - Reading Royals
- Bears Sign Goaltender Billy Sauer to Tryout Agreement - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walleye Sign May - Toledo Walleye
- Greenville Road Warriors Game Preview - March 18, 2012 - Greenville Road Warriors
- Game Preview: Express Vs. Trenton Today - Chicago Express
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira Vs. Wheeling, Game 66 - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Today - March 18 - ECHL
- 7,537 fans pile into Stockton Arena, teams combine for 91 penalty minutes - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Clinch Playoff Berth with 5-2 Win in Stockton - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors Stay Alive, Beat Vegas 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Condors Outlast Wranglers, Win 4-3 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Reign Pass Franchise Record with 3-2 Shootout Win in Idaho - Ontario Reign
- Ontario Outlasts Idaho in Entertaining Affair - Idaho Steelheads
- Express Fall to Trenton 4-1 - Chicago Express
- Aces Kings of the Mountain After 5-1 Win - Alaska Aces
- Too Little, Too Late - Kalamazoo Wings
- Defending League Champs Claim Mountain Division Crown with 5-1 Win - Colorado Eagles
- Royals Strike Gold Again on St. Hattrick's Day, 4-3 - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.