Amerks Down B-Sens for Fifth Straight Home WinMarch 9, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Rochester Americans
Paul Szczechura, Luke Adam and Derek Whitmore tallied a goal apiece for Rochester, while David Leggio finished with 35 saves in what was another stellar performance between the pipes.
"Early on they were taking it to us and David gave us an opportunity to get our legs under us, re-focus, and open things up. He made a lot of good saves in the third, too." said Head Coach Ron Rolston. "We knew that (the Senators) were a hard-working team, and it will be the same tomorrow night."
Craig Schira netted the lone goal for Binghamton in the losing effort and netminder Robin Lehner turned away 26 of 29 shots on goal.
After a scoreless first period, the Amerks capitalized on a turnover by the Senators at 4:19 of the middle frame to take a 1-0 lead. Szczechura picked up a loose puck on the left wing boards and made a nifty drag move around a defender before lifting a backhander into the open side of the net. The unassisted goal was Szczechura's 13th of the season.
Binghamton knotted things up at the 9:08 mark of the second period when a left-point wrister off the stick of Schira eluded a maze of bodies in the slot and beat Leggio high over his right shoulder, tying the game at one. Pat Cannone and Andre Petersson collected the assists.
Adam notched his second goal of the season with the Amerks in the closing minutes of the second period to restore Rochester's one-goal advantage. The centerman corralled a bouncing puck just inside the offensive blueline, made his way past a defender in the slot, and finally slipped a backhander between the legs of the Binghamton netminder with 3:28 remaining in the period. Defenseman Matt MacKenzie, who was skating as a forward in the game and recently returned from an injury absence, earned the assist for his first point since Nov. 25.
Rochester extended its lead to 3-1 at 10:50 of the final period as Whitmore tipped home a Nick Crawford bid from the right-point for his team-leading 24th goal of the season. Travis Turnbull also picked up an assist on the insurance goal.
The same two teams get right back at it on Saturday night as the Amerks and B-Sens close out their two-game weekend set. Game time is slated for 7:35 p.m. with all the action being carried live on 107.3 FM and 1280 AM, Rochester's Sports Talk.
American Hockey League Stories from March 9, 2012
- Three-Game Win Steak Comes to An End in Fifth Straight Extra-Time Decision - Lake Erie Monsters
- Sceviour Pushes Stars Past Rampage 4-3 in OT - Texas Stars
- Whale Capture SO Win over Bridgeport - Connecticut Whale
- Zats the Way - Manchester Monarchs
- Pirates Fall Short in Milestone Game - Portland Pirates
- Amerks Down B-Sens for Fifth Straight Home Win - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Victorious in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Bulldogs Drop 5-0 Decision to Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- IceCaps trounce Bears - St. John's IceCaps
- P-Bruins Fall to Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Six Sharks Score in 6-4 Home Win Over Pirates - Worcester Sharks
- Devils Rally But Lose in Shootout - Albany Devils
- Falcons Shut out by Monarchs 3-0 - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Invade North Country - Adirondack Phantoms
- B-Sens Fall to Amerks, 3-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Johnson's Pair of Goals Lead Admirals to 13th Straight Win - Norfolk Admirals
- Recap: Penguins Defeat Bruins in the Shootout - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Whale Beats Sound Tigers 4-3 in Shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- IceCaps Win Big Over Bears in First-Ever Meeting - Hershey Bears
- Forward Marcus Foligno Recalled from Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Ducks Recall O'Marra - Syracuse Crunch
- Super Bowl XLVI Champion Mark Herzlich to Headline New Era Cap Crunch vs. Cancer Game - Syracuse Crunch
- Canadiens Recall Louis Leblanc from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Watt Recalled from Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Gameday Preview - San Antonio at Texas - Texas Stars
- Gilbert Recalled from Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Detroit Recalls Andersson - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Take 12-Game Winning Streak on the Road - Norfolk Admirals
- B-Sens Announce Details of $10 Wednesday Presented by Warehouse Carpet Outlets - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Headed to Manchester Tonight - Springfield Falcons
- Heat Vs Rivermen Game Preview - Abbotsford Heat
- Tonight's Devils Game Televised Locally - Albany Devils
- Preview: IceCaps Vs. Bears - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.