Admirals Take 12-Game Winning Streak on the RoadMarch 9, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Norfolk Admirals
Last week, Norfolk's winning streak grew from nine to 12 games after three victories at Norfolk Scope Arena. On Wednesday, Jaroslav Janus stopped 29 of 30 shots and Ondrej Palat broke a 1-1 tie late in the third period as the Admirals defeated the Hershey Bears, 2-1. On Friday, Michel Ouellet netted a pair of goals and added an assist as Norfolk topped the Springfield Falcons, 5-2. In the Saturday rematch, Tyler Johnson scored twice and Dustin Tokarski stopped 17 of 18 shots for his record-tying 75th career win as an Admiral - a 5-1 win over the Falcons.
Norfolk drops the puck on a three-game road trip tonight against the Adirondack Phantoms. The trip then moves to Connecticut, with a game against the Connecticut Whale tomorrow and a contest against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers Sunday afternoon. The Admirals return to Scope for a contest against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on March 14.
EASTERN CONFERENCE STANDINGS UPDATE
The Admirals (39-18-1-2, 81 points in 60 games) continue to lead the East Division, Eastern Conference and overall American Hockey League standings. Norfolk leads the St. John's IceCaps (35-15-5-2, 77 points, 57 games) by four points for first place in the Eastern Conference and in the American Hockey League. They lead the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (33-19-2-5, 73 points in 59 games) by eight points for first place in the East Division. The IceCaps hold three games in hand on the Admirals while the Penguins hold one game in hand on the Admirals.
Team GP W L OTL SL PTS PCT
1 * Norfolk Admirals 60 39 18 1 2 81 0.675
2 * St. John's IceCaps 57 35 15 5 2 77 0.675
3 * Bridgeport Sound Tigers 57 32 19 3 3 70 0.614
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 59 33 19 2 5 73 0.619
Hershey Bears 59 31 19 4 5 71 0.602
Connecticut Whale 58 29 19 5 5 68 0.586
Albany Devils 58 27 22 6 3 63 0.543
Worcester Sharks 57 25 21 4 7 61 0.535
Manchester Monarchs 60 29 28 0 3 61 0.508
Portland Pirates 58 27 25 3 3 60 0.517
Adirondack Phantoms 58 28 27 2 1 59 0.509
Springfield Falcons 59 27 27 3 2 59 0.500
Providence Bruins 60 26 28 3 3 58 0.483
Syracuse Crunch 58 24 26 4 4 56 0.483
Binghamton Senators 60 24 32 2 2 52 0.433
Eight teams in each conference shall qualify for the 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs. Following the conclusion of each team's 76-game regular season, the three division winners in each conference will be seeded first through third (in order of regular-season points) and the next five best teams (in order of regular-season points) will be seeded fourth through eighth.
THE ADMIRALS' WEEK AHEAD
Fri., Mar 9 ... at Adirondack Phantoms (Philadelphia Flyers)... 7:00 p.m.
Sat. Mar 10 ... at Connecticut Whale (New York Rangers) ... 7:00 p.m.
Sat. Mar 11 ... at Bridgeport Sound Tigers (New York Islanders) ... 3:00 p.m.
- Norfolk's current 12-game winning streak is the longest winning streak in the American Hockey League since the Hershey Bears won 12 straight games from December 12, 2009 through January 9, 2010.
- Norfolk's streak is only the sixth winning streak of 12 or more games in the American Hockey League since the Admirals joined the league in the 2000-01 season.
- The last time the Admirals were in first place overall in the American Hockey League this late in the season was March 31, 2007, when they held a one-point advantage over the Hershey Bears.
- After 141 career games with Norfolk, Dustin Tokarski (75-56-7) has tied Michael Leighton for the most wins in Admirals history. Leighton posted a 75-52-17 record in 147 career games with Norfolk from 2001-02 to 2004-05.
- Tokarski made his first career NHL start last night for the Lightning in Washington, stopping 29 of 32 shots in a 3-2 overtime setback to the Capitals.
- Tokarski was recalled by the Tampa Bay Lightning on Wednesday after Lightning goaltender Mathieu Garon suffered an injury on Tuesday night.
- Mark Barberio has posted two goals and four assists during his current five-game point streak.
- Tyler Johnson has a pair of goals and added five assists during a personal four-game point streak.
- Johnson has scored four goals and assisted on four others in eight games vs. the Phantoms this season.
- The Admirals have posted a 9-3-0-0 mark vs. this weekend's opponents - including a 3-0-0-0 mark vs. the Whale.
- Friday night's contest is the seventh of eight meetings between the Admirals and Phantoms this season. Norfolk returns to Adirondack for their regular season finale on April 15th.
- Pierre-Cedric Labrie's +27 plus/minus rating is one off the league lead, which is held by Peoria's Cade Fairchild (+28). Teammate Trevor Smith (+25) is just two off the lead.
- Cory Conacher continues to lead the American Hockey League in rookie scoring with 66 points (31g, 35a) for while Connecticut's Jonathan Audy-Marchessault sits in third with 49 points (18g, 31a). Johnson is now tied for fourth with 44 points (20g, 24a).
- Earlier this week, the AHL announced that Norfolk Admirals right wing Eric Neilson has been suspended for three (3) games, Norfolk left wing Pierre-Cedric Labrie has been suspended for two (2) games, Springfield Falcons center Adam Mair has been suspended for three (3) games and Springfield defenseman Greg Amadio has been suspended for two (2) games, all as a result of their actions during pregame warm-ups prior to a game between the teams in Norfolk, Va., on Mar. 3.
ADMIRALS ANNOUNCE CLEAR DAY ROSTER
On Tuesday afternoon, the Norfolk Admirals announced their Clear Day Roster. As per AHL by-laws, only those players listed on a team's Clear Day roster are eligible to compete in the remainder of the AHL regular season and in the 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs, unless emergency conditions arise as a result of recall, injury or suspension. Teams may also add signed junior players or players on amateur tryout contracts after their respective junior or college seasons are complete.
Twenty-two Admirals were included on the Clear Day Roster, while three players were listed as "in-residence" for the remainder of the regular season and Calder Cup Playoffs. To view Norfolk's Clear Day Roster and in-residence list, visit norfolkadmirals.com.
Sixteen of the AHL's 30 teams will qualify for the 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs, which will get under way during the third week of April. For complete qualification rules and up-to-date standings, as well as for Calder Cup history, records and all-time championship rosters, visit theahl.com.
ADMIRALS VALUE NIGHTS
The Admirals return to Scope on Wednesday as they face off against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins in another Weekday Value Night. The game will once again feature Family Fun Packs and Student Rush Nights.
Family Fun Packs include four discounted Red Level Tickets for just $48 plus four free hot dogs, four free popcorns and four free sodas. Fans get all of that for just $48 - that's a savings of $37.
Student Rush Nights provide $8 White Level Tickets (normally $12) for high school and college students with a valid current high school or college ID. In addition, when you buy a Student Rush Night Ticket, you get a buy-one get-one free offer for the next Student Rush Night.
Family Fun Packs are available at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 or online at Ticketmaster.com. Student Rush Night Tickets are available ONLY at the Scope Box Office after 2:00 p.m. on the day of the game.
Goals : Cory Conacher (31)
Assists : Mark Barberio (42)
Points : Cory Conacher (66)
Games : Cory Conacher, Tyler Johnson (59)
PP goals : Cory Conacher (13)
SH goals : Tyler Johnson, J.T. Wyman (2)
+/- Rating : Pierre-Cedric Labrie (+27)
PIM : Radko Gudas (155)
GAA : Dustin Tokarski (2.34)
Spct : Dustin Tokarski (.907)
Wins : Dustin Tokarski (27)
Losses : Dustin Tokarski (11)
GPI : Dustin Tokarski (40)
Minutes : Dustin Tokarski (2282)
Goals : Denis Hamel (16)
Assists : Jason Akeson (33)
Points : Jason Akeson (43)
Games : Jason Akeson (58)
PP goals : Denis Hamel (7)
SH goals : Eric Wellwood (2)
+/- Rating : Eric Gustafsson (+6)
PIM : Tom Sestito (120)
GAA : Michael Leighton (2.70)
Spct : Michael Leighton (.913)
Wins : Michael Leighton (19)
Losses : Michael Leighton (21)
GPI : Michael Leighton (41)
Minutes : Michael Leighton (2334)
Goals : Kris Newbury (20)
Assists : Jonathan Audy-Marchessault (31)
Points : Kris Newbury (50)
Games : Jonathan Audy-Marchessault, Jordan Owens (58)
PP goals : Andre Deveaux (13)
SH goals : Several (1)
+/- Rating : Carl Hagelin (+12)
PIM : Andre Deveaux (117)
GAA : Chad Johnson (2.34)
Spct : Chad Johnson (.922)
Wins : Chad Johnson (18)
Losses : Chad Johnson, Cameron Talbot (12)
GPI : Chad Johnson (38)
Minutes : Chad Johnson (2159)
Goals : David Ullstrom (19)
Assists : Casey Cizikas (29)
Points : Casey Cizikas (44)
Games : Matt Donovan (56)
PP goals : David Ullstrom (7)
SH goals : Several (1)
+/- Rating : Casey Cizikas (+25)
PIM : Michael Haley (99)
GAA : Anders Nilsson
Spct : Ander Nilsson (.925)
Wins : Kevin Poulin (17)
Losses : Kevin Poulin (14)
GPI : Kevin Poulin (32)
Minutes : Kevin Poulin (1914)
TRANSACTIONS OF THE PAST WEEK
March 1, 2012
ADD C Mike Angelidis - Returned on loan by Tampa Bay (NHL)
March 7, 2012
DELETE G Dustin Tokarski - Recalled from loan by Tampa Bay (NHL)
ADD G Pat Nagle - Reassigned by Tampa Bay (NHL) from Florida (ECHL)
March 8, 2012
ADD F Bryan Brutlag - Signed to Professional Tryout Contract (PTO)
Individual tickets for all regular season games start at just $12. Tickets are available now at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com.
Admirals 10-Packs for the 2011-12 season remain available for as little as $110. You may also reserve your 2012-13 season tickets with a deposit of as little as $100 per seat today. Stop by the Admirals' Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com anytime!
ON THE RADIO/INTERNET
All regular season games will air live on "The Game" 102.1-FM, 1490-AM and online at 1021TheGame.com. AHL Live will also carry online video of every Admirals game on a pay-per-view or season pass basis. Fans can log in to watch, listen or get more information about AHL Live's online audio and video features at ahllive.com.
American Hockey League Stories from March 9, 2012
- Three-Game Win Steak Comes to An End in Fifth Straight Extra-Time Decision - Lake Erie Monsters
- Sceviour Pushes Stars Past Rampage 4-3 in OT - Texas Stars
- Whale Capture SO Win over Bridgeport - Connecticut Whale
- Zats the Way - Manchester Monarchs
- Pirates Fall Short in Milestone Game - Portland Pirates
- Amerks Down B-Sens for Fifth Straight Home Win - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Victorious in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Bulldogs Drop 5-0 Decision to Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- IceCaps trounce Bears - St. John's IceCaps
- P-Bruins Fall to Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Six Sharks Score in 6-4 Home Win Over Pirates - Worcester Sharks
- Devils Rally But Lose in Shootout - Albany Devils
- Falcons Shut out by Monarchs 3-0 - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Invade North Country - Adirondack Phantoms
- B-Sens Fall to Amerks, 3-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Johnson's Pair of Goals Lead Admirals to 13th Straight Win - Norfolk Admirals
- Recap: Penguins Defeat Bruins in the Shootout - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Whale Beats Sound Tigers 4-3 in Shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- IceCaps Win Big Over Bears in First-Ever Meeting - Hershey Bears
- Forward Marcus Foligno Recalled from Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Ducks Recall O'Marra - Syracuse Crunch
- Super Bowl XLVI Champion Mark Herzlich to Headline New Era Cap Crunch vs. Cancer Game - Syracuse Crunch
- Canadiens Recall Louis Leblanc from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Watt Recalled from Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Gameday Preview - San Antonio at Texas - Texas Stars
- Gilbert Recalled from Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Detroit Recalls Andersson - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Take 12-Game Winning Streak on the Road - Norfolk Admirals
- B-Sens Announce Details of $10 Wednesday Presented by Warehouse Carpet Outlets - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Headed to Manchester Tonight - Springfield Falcons
- Heat Vs Rivermen Game Preview - Abbotsford Heat
- Tonight's Devils Game Televised Locally - Albany Devils
- Preview: IceCaps Vs. Bears - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.