Second-Period Surge Leads Barons Past StarsFebruary 22, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Texas Stars
The two teams traded power-play goals in the first period of play. The Stars opened the scoring at 9:36 of the first period with a power-play goal by Jordie Benn. His ninth goal of the season gave Texas a 1-0 lead and was assisted by captain Brad Lukowich. The Barons took advantage of a five-one-three power play late in the opening stanza. Center Mark Arcobello snapped the puck to Texas net, tying the game 1-1. The puck deflected off a Texas defender and into the Stars goal at 19:55 of the period. Defenseman Taylor Chorney added an assist on his team's first goal of the night.
Oklahom City charged into the second period, scoring just 1:19 into the frame. Right wing Ryan Keller snapped a shot from the high-slot in the Texas zone. His 17th goal of the year sifted through traffic for the 2-1 Barons' lead. Mark Arcobello and Phillippe Cornet each had an assist on the goal. Oklahoma City enjoyed a 3-1 lead at 4:33 of the second period. Forward Teemu Hartikainen tipped a slap shot from defenseman Bryan Helmer for his 13th goal of the year. The Barons closed out their second-period scoring at 12:25 of the stanza, taking a 4-1 lead. Mark Arcobello snapped his second goal of the night and 11th goal of the year, over the glove of Texas goalie Andrew Raycroft, who was pulled after the goal with 14 saves on 18 shots in 32:25 of work. Tyler Beskorowany finished the period with four saves in 7:25 of work.
In the third period, the Barons added an insurance goal at 7:50 of the period. Winger Triston Grant blasted a one-timer past Beskorowany for his ninth goal of the year and a 5-1 final score.
The Stars return home for a two-game home stand against the Houston Aeros. Friday's game is set for a 7:30 p.m. faceoff and it is presented by Community Impact Newspapers. Friday is also a 3-2-1 night, featuring $3 domestic drafts, $2 sodas, and $1 hot dogs. The first 2,500 fans to Friday's game will receive a player magnet courtesy of Time Warner Cable. Texas faces off against Houston at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 25th. Saturday features the State Farm Family Four Pack, consisting of four tickets, four hot dogs and four sodas, starting at $48. The first 2,500 fans to Saturday's game will also receive a Texas Stars gym bag courtesy of Living Direct.
Individual tickets for all games are on sale now. Tickets are available online at www.TexasStarsHockey.com or by calling 512.GO.STARS (467.8277).
2011-12 season seat packages are on sale now. For more information on Texas Stars season tickets call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit www.TexasStarsHockey.com. Anyone interested in purchasing season tickets, suites, group tickets or mini-plans may call the Texas Stars front office.
American Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2012
- Griffins Earn 4-2 Win in Conklin's Debut - Grand Rapids Griffins
- AHL's Oldest Rivalry Sees Amerks Cruise Past Bears - Rochester Americans
- Second-Period Surge Leads Barons Past Stars - Texas Stars
- Amerks Power Past Bears - Hershey Bears
- Bulldogs Fall to Griffins 4-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- 'Canes Recall Mike Murphy from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Annual Griffins / Sled Wings Sled Hockey Game Set for February 28 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- AHL Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Dallas Recalls Fraser, Texas Adds Forward Layton - Texas Stars
- Missiaen Returned to Greenville - Connecticut Whale
- Marlies Finish off Homestand with Two Games this Weekend against Division Rivals - Toronto Marlies
- Sound Tigers Announce Pair of Transactions - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- B-Sens Reassign Downing, Godfrey and Hamilton to Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Labatt Blue AHL Bubble Hockey Tournament of Champions Continues this Weekend - Springfield Falcons
- Mueller Reassigned to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Gameday Preview- Texas at Oklahoma City - Texas Stars
- Capitals Recall Keith Aucoin from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Conklin to Make Griffins Debut at Home Tonight - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.