Rider Great Gene Makowsky Announces RetirementFebruary 17, 2012 - Canadian Football League (CFL) Saskatchewan Roughriders
"It's never an easy decision to make and it was extremely difficult for me,"stated Makowsky. "However I felt that this is the best decision to make for my family, my career and my team."
Makowsky has had a monumental career with the Green and White and will go down in the history books as one of the best to play the game. The 38-year-old has played the last 17 seasons with the Riders after originally being drafted by the team in the second round (23rd overall) in the 1995 CFL College Draft. He has played in 284 regular season games and in 2011 passed Rider legend Roger Aldag to become the All-Time leader in Rider history for most games played. Makowsky has played in 16 playoff games and four Grey Cups earning a championship ring in 2007.
The list of awards he has accumulated over his legendary career includes being named the CFL Offensive Lineman of the Year in both 2004 and 2005 while being named a finalist for the award again in 2008. In addition, Makowsky is a five time CFL All-Star and was named to the West Division All-Star team for seven consecutive years.
"Geno will go down as one of the greatest players in CFL history," stated Assistant General Manager Jeremy O'Day. "His toughness, work ethic, dedication and character were unmatched. It was an honour to have played with Geno and he made me a better player, a better person and I will be forever grateful for the time we spent as teammates."
Being born and raised in Saskatchewan, Makowsky decided to dedicate his passion for this great province by entering the political ring last year. In November he was elected to the Legislative Assembly as a member of the Saskatchewan Party and has begun his term serving the people of Saskatchewan. Gene, his wife Tami and their three sons - Nicholas, Ryan and Blake will always continue to be a part of the Roughrider family.
Canadian Football League Stories from February 17, 2012
- Riders Re-Sign Tristan Jackson - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Argos Harbour "Ill Will" - Veteran Lb Willie Pile Re-Signs with Double Blue - Toronto Argonauts
- Edmonton Eskimos Release 2012 Schedule - Edmonton Eskimos
- Schedule Set for Final Season at Ivor Wynne Stadium - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Road to the 1ooth Grey Cup Starts with Jam Packed RONA Canada Day Kickoff - CFL
- Alouettes Unveil 2012 Schedule - Montreal Alouettes
- Lions Open 2012 with Grey Cup Rematch - B.C. Lions
- 2012 Argos Schedule Offers Fans Variety & Strong Matchups - Toronto Argonauts
- Blue Bombers Unveil 2012 Schedule - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- CFL Releases 2012 Schedule - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Rider Great Gene Makowsky Announces Retirement - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Tiger-Cats Bring Andy Fantuz Home - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.