Wray Continues Incredible Run with Hat Trick in 5-2 Character Win Over First Place IceMenFebruary 3, 2012 - Central Hockey League (CHL) Rapid City Rush
Both teams exchanged leads in the first period, finishing with a 2-2 tie after 20 minutes. Just 2:21 into the game, excellent passing between Konrad Reeder and Scott Wray set up Blake Forsyth on the backdoor for his first goal of the season. The IceMen responded with a pair of goals, taking their first and only lead of the game. Malcolm Gwilliam capitalized on a 2-on-1 before John Ronan rifled home a shot to the short side for a 2-1 lead at the 11:54 mark. The Rush tied the score on a powerplay goal from Scott Wray who blasted a shot from the high slot at the 16:09 mark.
Wray continued his momentum in the second period, netting the only two goals of the frame. The first came exactly five minutes into the frame when a costly turnover by an IceMen defenseman allowed the captain to sneak a shot home for the 3-2 advantage. He then doubled the lead at the 9:03 mark, angling in a rebound off of a shot from Reeder.
Goaltender Tim Boron shut the door in the final period, totaling 41 saves on the night, setting a new Rush season record for saves in a game. Konrad Reeder added his fourth point of the night on an empty-net goal to give Rapid City the 5-2 decision.
Rapid City's special teams were on display, most notably the penalty kill that shut down all eight IceMen chances, including over three minutes worth of 5-on-3 time. The powerplay awakened with a 2-for-5 effort on the night, converting on its first two chances.
Central Hockey League Stories from February 3, 2012
- Wray Continues Incredible Run with Hat Trick in 5-2 Character Win Over First Place IceMen - Rapid City Rush
- Three Goal First Period Launches Thunder to 4-1 Win - Wichita Thunder
- Third Period Surge Not Enough in 3-2 Loss to Allen - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Hold on for a 3-2 Win Over Tulsa - Allen Americans
- Bucks Shut-Out Brahmas Again - Laredo Bucks
- Brahmas Drop Second Straight in Laredo - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mavs Hold off Arizona, 4-3 - Missouri Mavericks
- Komets Slip Past Mallards 3-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Killer Bees Fall to First-Place Wichita 4-1 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Late Surge Not Enough as Missouri Tops Arizona, 4-3 - Arizona Sundogs
- Mallards' Marino Named Oakley CHL First Star for January - Quad City Mallards
- Quad City's Brandon Marino Leads 'Oakley Three Stars' for January - CHL
- Blaze Reach Two-Thirds Mark with Trip to Quad City - Bloomington Blaze
- Gems Announce Return Of Popular "Ladies Night" & Bachelor Auction - Dayton Gems
- Killer Bees Sign Georgi Petrov to Contract - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Shots from the Point for February 3, 2012 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.