Three Goal First Period Launches Thunder to 4-1 WinFebruary 3, 2012 - Central Hockey League (CHL) Wichita Thunder
The Thunder jumped out to an early lead, scoring three goals in a 3:05 span. The first tally came from Matt Robinson (18) during a goal-mouth scramble where he was able to lift the puck over Bees goalie John Murray. 34 seconds later, R.G. Flath (8) won a foot-race to a loose puck in behind the Bees net and wrapped it under Murray's leg to make it 2-0. Flath (9) scored his second of the game during a scramble near the crease and tucked it into an empty net to make it 3-0. It was the fastest three goals scored by the Thunder this season.
In the second period, the Bees scored on a power play to cut the lead to 3-1. Dan Gendur took a loose puck behind Thunder starter Bryan Hogan and found Craig Lineker for the one-timer.
Chris Chappell (7) put the icing on the cake in the third period, scoring on a two-on-one break for his fourth goal in the past two games and Wichita skated away with a 4-1 win. Flath extended his goal scoring streak to three games, notching four in that span. Bryan Hogan earned back-to-back wins and his second in a Thunder uniform.
Wichita takes the season-series over Rio Grande Valley, winning all three meetings between the two teams. The Thunder also extended its winning streak to three games and has won four out of its last five.
Wichita heads to Laredo to take on the Bucks for the first time this season before returning home Friday, February 10th against Tulsa. For tickets, call 755-SEAT, visit the INTRUST Bank Arena box office or online at www.selectaseat.com.
Central Hockey League Stories from February 3, 2012
- Wray Continues Incredible Run with Hat Trick in 5-2 Character Win Over First Place IceMen - Rapid City Rush
- Three Goal First Period Launches Thunder to 4-1 Win - Wichita Thunder
- Third Period Surge Not Enough in 3-2 Loss to Allen - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Hold on for a 3-2 Win Over Tulsa - Allen Americans
- Bucks Shut-Out Brahmas Again - Laredo Bucks
- Brahmas Drop Second Straight in Laredo - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mavs Hold off Arizona, 4-3 - Missouri Mavericks
- Komets Slip Past Mallards 3-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Killer Bees Fall to First-Place Wichita 4-1 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Late Surge Not Enough as Missouri Tops Arizona, 4-3 - Arizona Sundogs
- Mallards' Marino Named Oakley CHL First Star for January - Quad City Mallards
- Quad City's Brandon Marino Leads 'Oakley Three Stars' for January - CHL
- Blaze Reach Two-Thirds Mark with Trip to Quad City - Bloomington Blaze
- Gems Announce Return Of Popular "Ladies Night" & Bachelor Auction - Dayton Gems
- Killer Bees Sign Georgi Petrov to Contract - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Shots from the Point for February 3, 2012 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.