Barons Double up Amerks, 4-2January 20, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Rochester Americans
"The effort was there," said forward Travis Turnbull, who scored a goal for the second straight night, giving him three goals in the last four games. "It's just disappointing to lose two games in a row to (Oklahoma City) after we beat them twice in their barn."
Defenseman Dylan Yeo notched a pair of goals for Oklahoma City, with Curtis Hamilton and Hunter Tremblay also finding the back of the net. Netminder Yann Danis finished with 22 saves to earn the win.
Jacob Lagace rounded out the goal scoring for Rochester with his 10th of the season in front of a crowd of 6,281. Goaltender Drew MacIntyre turned away 19 of 23 shots between the pipes in his first action since Jan. 6.
The Barons took advantage of a fortunate bounce at 6:19 of the opening period to jump out to a 1-0 lead. An attempted shot just inside the offensive blueline by Teemu Hartikainen was partially blocked and made its way right to Yeo in the slot, where he out-waited MacIntyre and slid a backhand into the vacant net.
Yeo tallied his second straight goal of the period just 1:41 later to make it 2-0 in favor of Oklahoma City, beating MacIntyre with a slapper from the top of the left face-off circle through a screen.
After more than 33 minutes of scoreless play, the Amerks got on the board to cut their deficit in half at 1:08 of the third period and make the score 2-1.Paul Szczechura pick-pocketed an Oklahoma City defender on the left half-boards, allowing Lagace to make his way to the high slot with the loose puck and beat Danis with a wrister high to the blocker side.
The Barons restored their two-goal cushion at 12:40, capitalizing on a turnover high in the defensive zone by Rochester as Hamilton netted his fourth of the season.
Turnbull put home a loose rebound off a shot by Szczechura with 2:11 remaining in regulation to bring the Amerks back to within one, but Oklahoma City's Tremblay responded less than a minute later, beating MacIntyre off the rush with a wrister from the left circle to make the score 4-2.
Rochester takes to the road for the first of four straight away from The Blue Cross Arena on Saturday, as they visit the North Division rival Grand Rapids Griffins at Van Andel Arena to finish of a three-in-three weekend. The 7 p.m. contest will also be the first of two straight against the Griffins, who the Amerks meet again on Wednesday. Fans can tune in for the live broadcast on 107.3 FM and 1280 AM, Rochester's Sports Talk.
American Hockey League Stories from January 20, 2012
- Checkers Rout Abbotsford - Charlotte Checkers
- Hogs Bury Wolves 3-2 on Snow Day - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Hand Rivermen Texas-Sized Loss - Peoria Rivermen
- Monsters Shut out in Grand Rapids - Lake Erie Monsters
- Stars Cruise Past Rivermen 6-2 - Texas Stars
- Wolves Suffer 3-2 Loss at Rockford - Chicago Wolves
- Kearns' Two Goals Lead Rampage to 3-2 OT Victory - San Antonio Rampage
- 'Canes Acquire Sova and Draft Pick from Devils - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Sink Admirals in 6-3 Win - Syracuse Crunch
- Macdonald Logs 20th Griffins Shutout in 5-0 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Nip Bears, 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Barons Double up Amerks, 4-2 - Rochester Americans
- Monarchs Stay Cold Against Penguins - Manchester Monarchs
- Whale defeated in overtime, 2-1 - Connecticut Whale
- Falcons Come up Short in Portland - Springfield Falcons
- Phantoms Closer to First After 3-2 Win - Adirondack Phantoms
- Admirals Crunched in Syracuse - Norfolk Admirals
- Penguins Roll Past Monarchs in 1000th Game - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Last Defeats First as Senators Halt Bears' Win Streak - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Defeat Sharks 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Devils Undone by Phantoms - Albany Devils
- Sharks Will Look for Payback After 3-2 Loss in Providence - Worcester Sharks
- Tonight's Game Delayed Until 8 P.M. - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Sign Dee to PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- 120120 - Media Release - Flames Reassign Byron to Heat - Abbotsford Heat
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman David Savard to AHL's Springfield Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Announce Details of January 27 Turning Stone Resort and Casino Fan Appreciation Night - Syracuse Crunch
- Flames Assign Wahl to Grizzlies - Abbotsford Heat
- Senators Recall Forward Stephane Da Costa from Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Penguins Return Schnell to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Panthers Send Michal Repik to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Snow Day Alert - Rockford IceHogs
- CNY Eye and Tissue Bank Awareness Night Set for January 27 - Syracuse Crunch
- Ducks Recall Center Mark Bell - Syracuse Crunch
- Gameday Preview - Peoria at Texas - Texas Stars
- Flames Assign Carson to Heat - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs and Wolves Faceoff Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Sign Evan Barlow to AHL Contract - San Antonio Rampage
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Dane Byers to AHL's Springfield Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Bulldogs Return Mitch Wahl to Heat - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Jets Re-Assign Postma to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bruins Assign Caron and Kampfer - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Recall Kevin Quick from ECHL Florida - Norfolk Admirals
- Heat Vs Checkers Game Preview - Abbotsford Heat
- Lightning Recall Evan Oberg from the Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Crunch Announce Roster Moves - Syracuse Crunch
- Aeros Game Day, January 20: Aeros Vs. Rampage - Houston Aeros
- Griffins Ready for Big Weekend at Van Andel Arena and Rosa Parks Circle - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Role Reversal for Monsters in Overtime Loss - Lake Erie Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.