Last Defeats First as Senators Halt Bears' Win StreakJanuary 20, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Hershey Bears
It was another rough opening period for HERSHEY, as Corey Locke began a three-goal outburst by placing a shot over a fallen Braden Holtby at 9:12. O'Brien sored at 11:05 when he stickhandled around a BEARS defenseman and took an off-wing shot that eluded Holtby to the glove side. Pat Cannone then snapped a feed from Locke over Holtby's shoulder for the Senators' only power play strike of the contest, giving the hosts a 3-0 lead which they held into the first intermission.
HERSHEY would turn up the heat in the middle frame, striking twice in three minutes to cut into the Binghamton lead. Julien Brouillette started things off by pinching in from the center point to fire a wrist shot over Lehner at 7:54, off of a right corner feed from Chris Bourque.
Jacob Micflikier made it a one-goal deficit while the BEARS were working a two-man advantage. Keith Aucoin collected a pass along the goal line below the left circle, and hurried a pass toward the net front that Micflikier slammed home at 10:55 for his 10th power play goal of the campaign. The assist pushed Aucoin's assist and point streaks to 14 games.
Trailing 3-2 halfway through the third period, the BEARS were sent to the penalty box when Matt Ford was called for slashing. But a poor entry into the offensive zone by the Senators enabled the BEARS to transition shorthanded. Aucoin led the rush down the left wing, and fed the slot where Bourque one-timed a shot under Lehner's outstretched left pad at 11:28, tying the score.
The BEARS had a chance to take the lead, earning a power play almost immediately after tying the game. But Rob Klinkhammer's steal in the defensive zone turned into a feed for O'Brien, who stopped in the offensive end, turned around and wristed a shot over Holtby's shoulder around a screen at 13:52.
HERSHEY earned a power play with 1:11 remaining in regulation, and got Holtby off for a six-on-four advantage. But Lehner withstood abundant pressure and hung on for the win. Holtby drops to 14-9-1 with the loss, making 30 saves on 34 shots. Lehner improves to 7-13-1, stopping 42 shots.
The BEARS finished the night 1-for-5 on the power play and 5-for-6 on the penalty kill.
With the loss, the BEARS drop to 24-9-4-3 on the season (55 points) but maintain their four-point lead at the top of the East Division.
The BEARS will return home tomorrow, January 21 for a 7:00 PM faceoff against the Manchester Monarchs. The game is sold out. Good seats remain for Sunday's 5:00 PM start against the Monarchs. Individual tickets for this and all regular-season home games are on sale now by calling (717) 508-BEAR, or by visiting ticketmaster.com.
American Hockey League Stories from January 20, 2012
- Checkers Rout Abbotsford - Charlotte Checkers
- Hogs Bury Wolves 3-2 on Snow Day - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Hand Rivermen Texas-Sized Loss - Peoria Rivermen
- Monsters Shut out in Grand Rapids - Lake Erie Monsters
- Stars Cruise Past Rivermen 6-2 - Texas Stars
- Wolves Suffer 3-2 Loss at Rockford - Chicago Wolves
- Kearns' Two Goals Lead Rampage to 3-2 OT Victory - San Antonio Rampage
- 'Canes Acquire Sova and Draft Pick from Devils - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Sink Admirals in 6-3 Win - Syracuse Crunch
- Macdonald Logs 20th Griffins Shutout in 5-0 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Nip Bears, 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Barons Double up Amerks, 4-2 - Rochester Americans
- Monarchs Stay Cold Against Penguins - Manchester Monarchs
- Whale defeated in overtime, 2-1 - Connecticut Whale
- Falcons Come up Short in Portland - Springfield Falcons
- Phantoms Closer to First After 3-2 Win - Adirondack Phantoms
- Admirals Crunched in Syracuse - Norfolk Admirals
- Penguins Roll Past Monarchs in 1000th Game - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Last Defeats First as Senators Halt Bears' Win Streak - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Defeat Sharks 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Devils Undone by Phantoms - Albany Devils
- Sharks Will Look for Payback After 3-2 Loss in Providence - Worcester Sharks
- Tonight's Game Delayed Until 8 P.M. - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Sign Dee to PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- 120120 - Media Release - Flames Reassign Byron to Heat - Abbotsford Heat
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman David Savard to AHL's Springfield Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Announce Details of January 27 Turning Stone Resort and Casino Fan Appreciation Night - Syracuse Crunch
- Flames Assign Wahl to Grizzlies - Abbotsford Heat
- Senators Recall Forward Stephane Da Costa from Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Penguins Return Schnell to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Panthers Send Michal Repik to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Snow Day Alert - Rockford IceHogs
- CNY Eye and Tissue Bank Awareness Night Set for January 27 - Syracuse Crunch
- Ducks Recall Center Mark Bell - Syracuse Crunch
- Gameday Preview - Peoria at Texas - Texas Stars
- Flames Assign Carson to Heat - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs and Wolves Faceoff Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Sign Evan Barlow to AHL Contract - San Antonio Rampage
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Dane Byers to AHL's Springfield Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Bulldogs Return Mitch Wahl to Heat - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Jets Re-Assign Postma to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bruins Assign Caron and Kampfer - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Recall Kevin Quick from ECHL Florida - Norfolk Admirals
- Heat Vs Checkers Game Preview - Abbotsford Heat
- Lightning Recall Evan Oberg from the Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Crunch Announce Roster Moves - Syracuse Crunch
- Aeros Game Day, January 20: Aeros Vs. Rampage - Houston Aeros
- Griffins Ready for Big Weekend at Van Andel Arena and Rosa Parks Circle - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Role Reversal for Monsters in Overtime Loss - Lake Erie Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.