Sharks Will Look for Payback After 3-2 Loss in ProvidenceJanuary 20, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Worcester Sharks
Antero Niittymaki made 23 saves in net for Worcester in a game that saw two scraps and several post whistle scrums. The two teams will battle it out again tomorrow Saturday night at the DCU Center at 7pm.
The Sharks hit everything in sight in the first period and fired 12 shots on Anton Khudobin but it was the Bruins that took a 1-0 advantage. Andrew Bodnarchuk (4th) fired a puck from off the end wall on the power play at 16:22 past Antero Niittymaki after a shot from the point by Matt Bartkowski missed the net for the only score in the first frame.
In the second period, the Bruins went ahead 2-0 after a quick snap shot from the left circle on a power play rush by Yannick Riendeau (3rd) at 2:53. A near line brawl broke out at 10:56 after Lane MacDermid hit Sharks rookie Nathan Moon from behind in the Sharks zone. After the dust settled, only Taylor Doherty (3rd FM) and Lane MacDermid (10th FM) were whistled for penalties but set the tone for more nastiness. Ryan Del Monte (3rd) deflected a Matt Irwin shot from the point past Khudobin at 14:15 to cut the Bruins lead to 2-1 and got the Sharks on the board. On the next faceoff, Matt Pelech (6th FM) and Bobby Robbins (7th FM) dropped the gloves with Pelech winning the one sided scrap with a series of right hands. Both teams had 18 shots after 40 minutes, with the Sharks trailing 2-1 headed into the 2nd intermission.
Each team scored in the third period with the Bruins going ahead 3-1 at 3:28 as Craig Cunningham (8th) roofed a one timer shot after a nice pass from behind the Worcester net by Andrew Bodnerchuk. The Sharks got the score back at 10:51 after Marek Viedensky (3rd) backhanded a loose rebound between the pads of the Bruins netminder to trim the score to 3-2. The Sharks had a chance to ties the score late but couldn't light the lamp as Worcester fell by the count of 3-2.
Worcester's record falls to 19-12-3-4 (45pts in 38gp) and 9-5-3-3 on the road.
Notes: FIVE GUYS BURGERS Three Stars: 3rd Star Matt Irwin (0-2-2) 2nd star: Andrew Bodnarchuk (1-2-3) 1st star: Craig Cunningham (1-2-3)... Final shots were 30-26 in favor of Worcester... Anton Khudobin made 28 saves on 30 shots for Providence; Antero Niittymaki made 23 saves on 26 shots for Worcester....Worcester went 0-for-3 on the power play while Providence went 2-for-5...Cam MacIntyre (inj), Ben Guite (inj),Tony Lucia (inj), and Curt Gogol (inj), did not dress for Worcester... with the two fights; Worcester now has 66 through 38 games this season, the most in the AHL... the Sharks are now 25-30-5 vs. the Bruins all-time... Worcester dressed eight true defensemen, with Matt Pelech and Nick Petrecki playing forward for Worcester... before the game, Worcester Sharks point leader, John McCarthy was recalled by the San Jose Sharks...head coach Roy Sommer is still three wins away from 500 in his AHL career (4th all-time in AHL)... Worcester falls to 7-1-2-2 on Friday night games this season.
On Saturday, January 21, the Sharks host the Providence Bruins at 7pm on Jose Antonio Rivera Bobble Gloves Night presented by Bay State Savings Bank. The first 3,000 fans will receive a bobble head doll and Jose Antonio Rivera will sign autographs at 6-7pm!
Doors open at 3:30pm for the High School Hockey Doubleheader featuring Hudson vs. Marlboro at 4pm. Enjoy two hockey games for the price of one ticket!
On Sunday, the Sharks close out the weekend with a 1pm start at the DCU Center vs. the St. John's IceCaps! (Please note the change of the start time. The team poster giveaway and the post game autograph session have been moved to March 18 because of the New England Patriots game).
With every Sunday home game this season, Kid's tickets are just $5 presented by Southwick's Zoo. Receive a free child's admission to Southwick's Zoo with the purchase of a full priced adult and kid's ticket!
Score a family fun pack today for only $74! Four tickets, four hot dogs, and four sodas for a portion of the price! Available only through the Sharks front office for every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday games this season!
Enjoy a Worcester sharks Experience Pack! The Sharks are offering groups to partake in a Sharks hockey experience with many interactive activities; including friends and family skates on the DCU Center ice before or after a game, the high FIN tunnel (high-fiving players as they take the ice), singing the National Anthem, intermission performances, and more.
American Hockey League Stories from January 20, 2012
- Checkers Rout Abbotsford - Charlotte Checkers
- Hogs Bury Wolves 3-2 on Snow Day - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Hand Rivermen Texas-Sized Loss - Peoria Rivermen
- Monsters Shut out in Grand Rapids - Lake Erie Monsters
- Stars Cruise Past Rivermen 6-2 - Texas Stars
- Wolves Suffer 3-2 Loss at Rockford - Chicago Wolves
- Kearns' Two Goals Lead Rampage to 3-2 OT Victory - San Antonio Rampage
- 'Canes Acquire Sova and Draft Pick from Devils - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Sink Admirals in 6-3 Win - Syracuse Crunch
- Macdonald Logs 20th Griffins Shutout in 5-0 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Nip Bears, 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Barons Double up Amerks, 4-2 - Rochester Americans
- Monarchs Stay Cold Against Penguins - Manchester Monarchs
- Whale defeated in overtime, 2-1 - Connecticut Whale
- Falcons Come up Short in Portland - Springfield Falcons
- Phantoms Closer to First After 3-2 Win - Adirondack Phantoms
- Admirals Crunched in Syracuse - Norfolk Admirals
- Penguins Roll Past Monarchs in 1000th Game - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Last Defeats First as Senators Halt Bears' Win Streak - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Defeat Sharks 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Devils Undone by Phantoms - Albany Devils
- Sharks Will Look for Payback After 3-2 Loss in Providence - Worcester Sharks
- Tonight's Game Delayed Until 8 P.M. - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Sign Dee to PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- 120120 - Media Release - Flames Reassign Byron to Heat - Abbotsford Heat
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman David Savard to AHL's Springfield Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Announce Details of January 27 Turning Stone Resort and Casino Fan Appreciation Night - Syracuse Crunch
- Flames Assign Wahl to Grizzlies - Abbotsford Heat
- Senators Recall Forward Stephane Da Costa from Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Penguins Return Schnell to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Panthers Send Michal Repik to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Snow Day Alert - Rockford IceHogs
- CNY Eye and Tissue Bank Awareness Night Set for January 27 - Syracuse Crunch
- Ducks Recall Center Mark Bell - Syracuse Crunch
- Gameday Preview - Peoria at Texas - Texas Stars
- Flames Assign Carson to Heat - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs and Wolves Faceoff Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Sign Evan Barlow to AHL Contract - San Antonio Rampage
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Dane Byers to AHL's Springfield Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Bulldogs Return Mitch Wahl to Heat - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Jets Re-Assign Postma to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bruins Assign Caron and Kampfer - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Recall Kevin Quick from ECHL Florida - Norfolk Admirals
- Heat Vs Checkers Game Preview - Abbotsford Heat
- Lightning Recall Evan Oberg from the Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Crunch Announce Roster Moves - Syracuse Crunch
- Aeros Game Day, January 20: Aeros Vs. Rampage - Houston Aeros
- Griffins Ready for Big Weekend at Van Andel Arena and Rosa Parks Circle - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Role Reversal for Monsters in Overtime Loss - Lake Erie Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.