Phantoms Edge Bulldogs 5-4January 13, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Hamilton Bulldogs
The Phantoms opened the scoring at 13:29 into the game when Tyler Brown's backhand shot beat Bulldogs netminder Robert Mayer to give Adirondack a 1-0 lead in the low-scoring first period.
The pace picked up in the second period, with 6 goals being scored in the 20-minute frame. At 3:04, Brandon Manning made it 2-0 Phantoms when his power play slapshot bounced off Mayer's glove and into the Bulldogs' net, breaking Hamilton's 7-game perfect penalty kill streak. Just over three minutes later, Louis Leblanc beat Adirondack starting goaltender Jason Bacashihua to shorten the gap 2-1. Leblanc scored his second of the game to tie it at 2 when he shot his own rebound past Bacashihua from the left slot only 2:31 later. The Bulldogs scored their third consecutive goal at 11:35 when Aaron Palushaj notched his 10th of the season. With this power play goal, Palushaj extended his point streak to 6 games, and Andreas Engqvist, who earned an assist on the play, stretched his point streak to 9 games.
The back-and-forth barrage continued as the Phantoms took advantage of a power play opportunity to make it a 3-3 tie with 3:19 left in the second period. Denis Hamel carried Blake Kessel's breakaway pass over the Bulldogs blue line, scoring his twelfth of the season with a sniper shot over Mayer's left shoulder. Then, with 29 seconds left to play in the second stanza, Palushaj scored his second of the game following a 3-on-1 chance in front of Adirondack's net. Alex Henry and Engqvist earned assists on the go-ahead goal, and the 'Dogs would lead 4-3 going into the third period.
Michael Leighton took to the Adirondack net for the final 20 minutes. The Phantoms would come back in the third frame, with Jonathon Kalinski scoring only 1:22 into the period with a low blocker-side shot to tie the game at 4. Hamel would get his second of the game just under four minutes later, when his shot bounced off the back of the net and then off Mayer's back to trigger the goal light. Adirondack's 5-4 victory over Hamilton marked the Bulldogs' first loss of 2012, snapping their season-leading 3-game winning streak and their 5-game point streak.
The Bulldogs travel to Rochester to take on the Americans TOMORROW, Saturday, January 14th, 2012 at 7:35 p.m. at Blue Cross Arena. The 'Dogs are back at Copps Coliseum on Sunday, January 15th, 2012 at 3 p.m. to face the Toronto Marlies. All Hamilton Bulldogs games can be heard live on AM 820 CHAM or on hamiltonbulldogs.com, or seen live on ahllive.com beginning with the Pioneer Pre-Game Show 30 minutes prior to the scheduled start time.
Single game tickets for the 2011-2012 season (including the January 21st outdoor game) are available at the Copps Coliseum Box Office, any Ticketmaster Outlet, online at ticketmaster.ca or through charge-by-phone at 1-855-872-5000.
Visit the official website of the Hamilton Bulldogs at HamiltonBulldogs.com Visit the official website of the 2012 AHL Outdoor Classic presented by Molson at OutdoorClassic.ca Like the 2012 AHL Outdoor Classic presented by Molson at Facebook.com/OutdoorClassic Become a fan of the 'Dogs at Facebook.com/HamiltonBulldogs Follow the team on Twitter at @BulldogsAHL and @DogsPlaybyPlay.
American Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2012
- Admirals Fall to Wolves, Drop Third Straight - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Win Fifth Straight with 2-1 Victory Over Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Aeros Hold off Rivermen 2-1 - Peoria Rivermen
- B-Sens Fall Flat in 5-2 Loss to Crunch - Binghamton Senators
- Smith, IceHogs Knock off Barons in OT - Rockford IceHogs
- Amerks Drop Overtime Decision to Marlies, 2-1 - Rochester Americans
- Monarchs Unlucky on Friday the 13th - Manchester Monarchs
- 13 Is Lucky Number for Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Aeros hold on for a 2-1 win - Houston Aeros
- Stars' Surge Too Much for Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Cruise Past Whale - Norfolk Admirals
- Sateri Does the Monster Mash on Friday the 13th with 1-0 Win - Worcester Sharks
- Admirals win over Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Phantoms Edge Bulldogs 5-4 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- P-Bruins Fall to Sharks - Providence Bruins
- Panthers Aquire Ondrej Roman from Dallas in Exchange for Angelo - San Antonio Rampage
- Streaking Stars Stay Hot, Beat Griffins 6-4 in a Wild One - Texas Stars
- Crunch Roll to a 5-2 Win in Binghamton - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Shoot Past Monarchs 4-2 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Dallas Trades Ondrej Roman for Angelo Esposito - Texas Stars
- Great Skate Winterfest Returns January 21-22 with Snowboarding "Rail Jam" and Dog Sled Rides - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Maintain Pricing on Season Ticket Packages for Third Consecutive Year - Binghamton Senators
- Outdoor Classic Fan Shuttles Launched - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Whale's Game Saturday to be Aired on Beethoven - Connecticut Whale
- Worcester Sharks to Host Online Jersey Auction to Benefit the 15-40 Connection - Worcester Sharks
- Gameday Preview - Texas at Grand Rapids - Texas Stars
- Blackhawks Assign Smith to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Sign Landry to PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Give Blood; Watch Hockey - Peoria Rivermen
- Jets Re-Assign Cormier to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Webster Bank Arena Hero Honored - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons Host Pirates Tonight - Springfield Falcons
- Button Assigned to Reading - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Announce Time Warner Cable Buy One Get One Games - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Reassign Max Gratchev to Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Aeros Game Day, January 13: Aeros at Peoria - Houston Aeros
- Griffins Ride Seven-Game Point Streak into Tonight's Tussle with Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Losing Streak Continues with 4-0 Loss in Peoria - Lake Erie Monsters
- Rivermen End First Half with Bishop's Sixth Shutout - Peoria Rivermen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.