Gutsy Grizzlies Grind out 6-5 Win Over BakersfieldDecember 30, 2011 - ECHL (ECHL) Utah Grizzlies
The shorthanded story continued for Utah, who had just eight forwards and four defensemen in the contest against a full-strength Bakersfield group.
"We played as five-man units and that's the only way you're going to win," said Head Coach Kevin Colley. "You have to support one another and your intensity and passion for the game have to elevate and today they willed themselves to a win and that's what it's all about; the love for the game and doing what it takes to win."
The Grizzlies took the first 10 shots of the night and Bryan Cameron (6,7) scored two goals 99 seconds apart as Utah built a 2-0 lead 5:09 into the first period.
The Condors roared back with four-straight to gain a 4-2 lead early in the second period.
"It was a good start, we needed it, we were shooting pucks and they didn't have any at one point," said Bryan Cameron. "The boys were just getting the Christmas legs out and we got it going in the second and third."
Utah then scored three-straight in a 3:07 span to take a 5-4 lead as Logan MacMillan (2), Mike Adamek (1) and Paul McIlveen (12) all scored on second efforts from 9:29 to 12:36 of the period. The Condors tied the game with a power-play goal with 13 seconds left in the second period.
Utah took a 6-5 lead on a power-play goal from captain Nick Tuzzolino (3) 3:38 into the third period. Goaltender Shane Owen stopped all 14 shots he saw the rest of the way to earn Utah the win.
10 of Utah's 12 skaters scored in the game, including Cameron (two goals, one assist), McIlveen (one goal, two assists), MacMillan (one goal, one assist) and Nick Tuzzolino (one goal, one assist) who all had multiple-points in the win.
The Grizzlies and Condors meet again Saturday for a special 6 p.m. New Year's Eve start at Maverik Center. The game will feature $1 food and $2 drink specials in addition to a free post-game skate. Skate rental is $2.
ECHL Stories from December 30, 2011
- Eagles Dealt First ECHL Shutout by Aces - Colorado Eagles
- Gutsy Grizzlies Grind out 6-5 Win Over Bakersfield - Utah Grizzlies
- Faubert Scores First OT Goal in Express History - Chicago Express
- Condors Battle Back, But Fall in Utah, 6-5 - Bakersfield Condors
- Winning Streak Ends for Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Kalamazoo Loses to Chicago 4-3 in Overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wranglers Grill Steelheads for 4-3 Comeback Win - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Royals' Comeback Effort Shot Down by Trenton, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Bushee Post Two Points in Elmira - Wheeling Nailers
- Jackals Storm Back to Defeat Nailers - Elmira Jackals
- Glads Remain in First Despite 3-1 Loss to Everblades - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Cyclones Extend Winning Streak to Five, Hooking Walleye 3-0 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Eagles Sign Moises Gutierrez; Forward Will be in Lineup Tonight - Colorado Eagles
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Ontario Reign - Stockton Thunder
- Reign Add to Blue Line - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - December 30 - ECHL
- Defensemen Ryan Button and Marc Cantin Assigned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Jackals Sign Veteran Miller - Elmira Jackals
- Nailers Game Preview: Wheeling Vs. Elmira - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Express Vs. Kalamazoo Tonight - Chicago Express
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira Vs. Wheeling - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Bears Send Lacroix and Flemming to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- One Dollar Beers and One Dollar Hot Dogs Tonight - Chicago Express
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Today - December 30 - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.