Monarchs Comeback Beats PiratesDecember 11, 2011 - American Hockey League (AHL) Portland Pirates
Legein scored his first goal six minutes into the third period with a wrist shot from the left circle on assists from Linden Vey and Patrick Mullen to tie the score 3-3.
But, just 1:23 later, Portland retook the lead when Nathan Oystrick beat netminder Martin Jones at 7:23 with assists from Matt Watkins and Brett MacLean.
Legein would tie the score again, though at 9:35 when he wired a slap shot off the crossbar behind Justin Pogge and into the goal. It was assisted by Thomas Hickey and David Kolomatis.
The Pirates got a power play in the overtime, but failed to score, which sent the game to a shootout. Robbie Czarnik and Marc-Andre Cliche scored goals for the Monarchs, while Jones denied all four of Portland's shooters to secure the victory, which pulls Manchester into a tie for the Atlantic Division lead with the St. John's IceCaps.
MacLean and Trotter continued goal streaks in the loss. MacLean netted two goals on the day, bringing his total four in the last two games. Trotter scored his third in as many games.
MacLean scored his first goal of the game to open the scoring at 5:49 of the first period off the rebound of an Andy Miele shot. Captain Dean Arsene also assisted on the goal, MacLean's seventh of the season.
Just 51 second later, Trotter extended his goal scoring streak to three games when he tipped in a Tyler Eckford shot past Jones. Patrick O'Sullivan also picked up an assist on Trotter's sixth goal of the year.
But, just 16 seconds later, Manchester got on the board when Mullen beat Pogge with a wrist shot from the right circle for his fourth goal of the season with assists from Ray Kaunisto and Justin Johnson.
MacLean tallied his second goal of the game, converting a rebound from the middle of the slot on the power play with assists from Oystrick and Trotter at 8:21 of the second period.
Czarnik would answer 31 seconds after that, pounding home a centering feed from Brandon Kozun for his first goal of the season at 8:52. Dwight King also picked up a helper on the goal.
Manchester outshot Portland 35-28 for the game. Jones picked up the win in net with 24 saves, improving to 9-7-1,, while Pogge took the shootout loss with 31 saves, making his record 3-2-2.
The Pirates were 1-for-5 on the power play and Manchester was 0-for-3.
The Allied Home Mortgage Three Stars of the Game were: 1. Czarnik MCH; 2. Legein MCH; 3. MacLean POR.
Pirates hockey will return to the Civic Center on Wednesday, December 14 at 6:30 p.m. when the Manchester Monarchs come to town for the seventh of 12 meetings this season. The Portland Pirates Holiday Toy Drive will continue and all toy donations to Toys for Tots and cash donations to the Bruce Roberts Toy Fund will be rewarded with a pair of tickets to a future Pirates game. The Bruce Roberts Toy Fund assists children from birth through age 18 in Cumberland, Knox, Lincoln, Sagadahoc, and York counties during the holiday season. Parents and legal guardians of children 18 and under can apply at The Welcome Center, Portland Press Herald/Maine Sunday Telegram, and through local service organizations or call (207-791-6672) to have an application sent by mail.
Now is the time to cash in on great savings by purchasing discounted ticket plans and advance tickets for the Pirates 2011-12 season. Ticket packages are available to meet all budgets and schedules. Call a Pirates ticket representative today at 207-828-4665 x350 to reserve your seats for any combination of games that Pirates hockey, "Coyotes Style", has to offer. Individual tickets for the each of the remaining 28 home games of the Pirates 2011-12 regular season schedule are on sale and fans can purchase their tickets by visiting the Pirates ticket office, Cumberland County Civic Center box office (open Monday through Friday from 9:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.) or by visiting www.ticketmaster.com.
American Hockey League Stories from December 11, 2011
- Aeros Drop One to Peoria in Shootout - Houston Aeros
- Rivermen Down Aeros in Shootout - Peoria Rivermen
- Admirals Get by Hogs 5-4 - Milwaukee Admirals
- I Am Legein - Manchester Monarchs
- Rockford Snags a Point in Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Bears Power Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Four-Goal First Helps Bears Blitz Admirals - Hershey Bears
- Markstrom Boosts Rampage to 4-1 Victory Over Checkers - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Drop 3-1 Decision to Chicago - Grand Rapids Griffins
- P-Bruins Defeat Whale 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Skate Past Griffins, 3-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Stymied in San Antonio - Charlotte Checkers
- Whale Tipped by Bruins - Connecticut Whale
- Crunch Announce Roster Moves - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Comeback Beats Pirates - Portland Pirates
- Amerks Fall to Hamilton by 2-1 Score - Rochester Americans
- Falcons Dominate Sound Tigers 5-1 - Springfield Falcons
- Bulldogs Overtake Americans for 2-1 Win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Falcons Power Past Sound Tigers 5-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sharks WINgels Again in St. John's - Worcester Sharks
- AHL Announces Willsie Suspension - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aeros Game Day, December 11: Aeros Vs. Peoria - Houston Aeros
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- 'Canes Recall Drayson Bowman from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Flames Announce a Trio of Player Moves - Abbotsford Heat
- P-Bruins Sign Rookie Blue Liner - Providence Bruins
- Abbotsford Defeats Monsters to Sweep Season Series on Saturday - Lake Erie Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.