Tigers' Emerson Etem Named CHL Player of the WeekOctober 12, 2011 - Western Hockey League (WHL)
Etem helped lift the Tigers to a 2-1-0-0 record on the road which included back-to-back first star performances in Victoria. On Thursday he scored a pair of goals to lead the Tigers to a 4-2 win over the Royals, followed by his second hat-trick of the season along with an assist on Friday despite the 5-4 loss to the Royals. His week wrapped up on Saturday with a goal as part of a 5-4 win over the Vancouver Giants where he was named second star of the contest.
Etem, a 19-year-old from Long Beach, California, is playing in his third full WHL season with the Tigers. The Anaheim Ducks prospect selected in the first round of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft currently leads the league with 12 goals and has 14 points in seven games after setting career highs last season with 45 goals and 35 assists for 80 points in 65 games.
Also considered for the award this week was Konrad Abeltshauser of the Halifax Mooseheads who picked up seven points in three games scoring two goals and five assists, and Greg McKegg of the Erie Otters who recorded seven assists in two games.
2011-12 CHL Players of the Week:
Oct. 3 - Oct. 9: Emerson Etem, Medicine Hat Tigers
Sept. 26 - Oct. 2: Mark Stone, Brandon Wheat Kings
Sept. 21 - Sept. 25: Tanner Pearson, Barrie Colts
Western Hockey League Stories from October 12, 2011
- Rockets Drop 4-2 Decision to Medicine Hat - Kelowna Rockets
- Kamloops Blazers Launch a Blog - Kamloops Blazers
- Saskatoon Blades to Host the 2013 Mastercard MasterCard Memorial Cup - WHL
- Tigers' Emerson Etem Named CHL Player of the Week - WHL
- Royals' Jerseys on Sale Friday - Victoria Royals
- Community Cares Initiative a Success - Prince Albert Raiders
- Warriors Stick It To Cancer - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Pats Acquire 20 Year Old Forward - Regina Pats
- Hurricanes Trade 20-Year to the Pats - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Winterhawks Move November 12 Game to Rose Garden - Portland Winterhawks
- Maxwell Ties Record as 'Tips Fall to Raiders - Everett Silvertips
- Oil Kings Blow Away Hurricanes - Edmonton Oil Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.