Irene Arrives Early, Cancels Spinners Series FinaleAugust 27, 2011 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) Lowell Spinners
With clear skies throughout the early morning, there was hope the game would be played as both teams took batting practice and did early work, but as game time approached bands of heavy rain arrived as the tarp went onto the field.
Spinners' staff pulled the tarp off the field just after 6 p.m. and the managers from both teams and the umpires, the decision was made to cancel the game, with special consideration given to the fact both teams are traveling following the game.
Sunday's regularly scheduled game between the two teams in Tri-City has also been postponed, as the teams will play a doubleheader Monday evening in Troy. Saturday evening's game will not be made up.
Any fan holding a ticket for the Spinners August 27 game may exchange that ticket in person for a ticket of equal or lesser value to any 2011 home game, based on availability. If a fan receives a ticket of lesser value, the fan will receive the difference back in Spinners Dollars. Under no circumstances will tickets for the August 27 game be exchanged straight-up for Spinners Dollars.
For example: If the fan had a $10 ticket and exchanged it for a $6 seat then the fan will receive an additional $4 back in Spinners Dollars. Spinners Dollars can be used at concession and merchandise stands and will expire on December 31 of this year.
The Spinners conclude the 2011 home schedule with a three-game series against the Brooklyn Cyclones beginning Tuesday, August 30 through Thursday, September 1. Tickets to each of the three games are still available and can be ordered online at www.LowellSpinners.com or by phone at (978) 459-1702. The Ticket Office is open Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
New York-Penn League Stories from August 27, 2011
- Gamache's Grand Slam the Topper in Spikes' 12-1 Win - State College Spikes
- Jammers Doomed by Big Inning - Jamestown Jammers
- Crosscutters lose 12-1 - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Scrappers Rally Past Jammers For 4-2 Win - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- Irene Arrives Early, Cancels Spinners Series Finale - Lowell Spinners
- Vermont Back In 1st After 3-1, 13-Inning Win Saturday - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Tigers Drop from First Place After 3-1 Loss - Connecticut Tigers
- State College Spikes Game Notes - August 27 Vs. Williamsport - State College Spikes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.