Spikes Halt IronBirds' Win Streak at FiveAugust 9, 2011 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) Aberdeen IronBirds
The Spikes wasted little time to get on the scoreboard. With two men down in the first, Alex Dickerson worked a walk. After Samuel Gonzalez singled, Derek Trent walked to load the bases. Chris Lashmet lined a two-run single into right field to give State College a 2-0 lead.
State College made it a five-run game in the fourth. With the bases loaded and two outs, Junior Sosa hit a base-clearing double.
IronBirds starting pitcher Parker Bridwell would exit after the fifth. He allowed five runs, all earned, on six hits. Bridwell walked four and struck out three.
Aberdeen got on the scoreboard in the eighth. Glynn Davis reached on an error on the Spikes' third baseman Lashmet. Sammie Starr singled to right, putting runners at first and third. Jordan Cooper tried to pick-off Starr at first but threw the ball away. Davis scored and Starr moved all the way around to third. Mychal Givens knocked in Starr on a ground-out to second, making it 5-2.
The IronBirds loaded the bases in the ninth but were unable to push a run across. Mike Jefferson (2-1) got the win for State College. He pitched five shutout innings. Bridwell (2-5) took the loss. Cliff Archibald (1) pitched a scoreless ninth for his first save.
The IronBirds and the Spikes will meet in game two of this series Wednesday evening at State College. The IronBirds will have the right-hander Tyler Wilson (0-0, 2.25) on the hill. He'll go up against right-hander Nick Kingham (2-2, 2.80). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM.
The Aberdeen IronBirds sold out season tickets for the 10thstraight season. Group packages and single-game tickets, however, are still available for the 2011 season. For ticket information, contact our box office at (410) 297-9292 or visit us online at www.IronBirdsbaseball.com.
New York-Penn League Stories from August 9, 2011
- Martinez's Single Wins it for Cutters - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Spikes Produce with the Bases Juiced to Beat IronBirds, 5-2 - State College Spikes
- Spikes Halt IronBirds' Win Streak at Five - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Jammers Rained out at Connecticut - Jamestown Jammers
- Tigers-Jammers Game Postponed Due to Rain - Connecticut Tigers
- Muckdogs-Cyclones Game Postponed Due to Rain - Batavia Muckdogs
- 5 Cutters Chosen for All Star Game - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Four Scrappers Named to All-Star Roster - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- State College Spikes Game Notes - August 9 Vs. Aberdeen - State College Spikes
- Aberdeen IronBirds Game Notes - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Four Jammers Named to the All-Star Game - Jamestown Jammers
- Dean Green and Brennan Smith Selected to 2011 All-Star Game - Connecticut Tigers
- Al Kaline Night a Booming Success - Connecticut Tigers
- Trio of Outfielders, Cecchini to Represent Spinners at All-Star Game in Lowell - Lowell Spinners
- A League Leading Six Muckdogs Named NYPL All-Stars - Batavia Muckdogs
- Bark In The Park, Paint The Park Pink Highlight Spikes' Six-Game Homestand - State College Spikes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.