Lomascolo Hurls Owls Over Asheboro in Playoff OpenerAugust 4, 2011 - Coastal Plain League (Coastal Plain) - Forest City Owls
Forest City got another sterling performance from Nick Lomascolo (Catawba). The Owls' left-hander threw a complete game, allowing just one run on four hits and striking out 13 batters. Lomascolo retired 14 consecutive batters between the third and seventh innings. Asheboro countered with ace Charlie McCready (Charleston Southern). McCready tossed eight innings, allowing five runs (four earned) on ten hits while striking out two batters and walking one. Lomascolo earned the win and McCready took the loss.
The Owls wasted no time in getting on the board, opening the scoring in the top of the first inning. Craig Manuel (Rice) flared a two-out single into right-center field, allowing Reed Harper (Austin Peay) to score from second. Asheboro returned fire soon after, when Marquis Riley (North Carolina A&T) drove the first pitch of the bottom of the first inning over the right field wall to tie the game at one apiece.
Forest City broke the deadlock in the top of the fourth inning. With runners on second and third and one out, Dusty Quattlebaum (Gardner-Webb) squibbed a double down the first base line, driving Cameron Conner (N.C. State) and Justin Britt (Southeastern CC) home. The Owls owned a 3-1 lead after four frames. Forest City added another run in the top of the seventh inning when Konstantine Diamaduros (Wofford) singled home Michael Basil (Indiana), giving them a 4-1 lead. Jordan Betts (Duke) doubled Quattlebaum home in the top of the ninth inning to make the final score 5-1 in favor of Forest City.
The series heads to Forest City tomorrow night. First pitch for Game 2 of the first round of the 2011 CPL Playoffs between the Owls and Copperheads is scheduled for 7:30 PM at McNair Field.
Coastal Plain League Stories from August 4, 2011
- Steamers Hang on for Wild Win to Take 1-0 Series Lead - Edenton Steamers
- Sharks fall in 11 innings in opening game of CPL Petitt Cup Playoffs - Wilmington Sharks
- Four-Run Eleventh Powers Fayetteville Past Wilmington, 5-1, in Game One - Fayetteville SwampDogs
- HiToms drop game one - High Point-Thomasville HiToms
- Lomascolo Hurls Owls Over Asheboro in Playoff Opener - Forest City Owls
- Wendle and Brenner Honored - Edenton Steamers
- Wilson Broadcaster Will Finish the Season in Kinston - Wilson Tobs
- Tobs to Host Fall High School Baseball - Wilson Tobs
- Mat Batts Named Cpl Pitcher of Week - Wilmington Sharks
- Deighan Ties CPL Career Saves Record - Coastal Plain
- CPL Names Players of the Week for Week Nine - Coastal Plain
- Steamers Set CPL Record for Most Wins in a Half - Coastal Plain
- Diamaduros Finishes as CPL Career Hits and RBI Leader - Coastal Plain
- Steamers Set CPL Record for Wins in a Half - Edenton Steamers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.