United Academy Set for Generation adidas CupJuly 25, 2011 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - D.C. United Press Release
Following its match against Columbus' U-17 side, the Black-and-Red will continue group play against Houston Dynamo on July 26 and San Jose Earthquakes on July 28. United will look to improve on past success entering the tournament as defending champions, as United has won three of the past four additions of the Generation adidas Cup (formerly SUM Cup).
D.C. United's U-15 Academy side will also start tournament group play later this week against Chivas USA on July 27 at 9:30 a.m. ET. The U-15 side of the tournament features eight youth teams from various MLS Development Academies.
On Saturday, July 23 D.C. United's U-23 Academy side completed its summer season with a 2-1 win at Chattanooga FC. In front of a crowd of nearly 2,000 people, D.C. United legend Jaime Moreno coached his team to victory, capping off a successful inaugural season for the newly-formed U-23 side. United's U-23's went 4-0-2 on the season.
"The program was very positive because we had the chance of watching players that have the potential to get to the next level," said U-23 Head Coach Jaime Moreno. "Several players were able to experience training with the first team. I really liked the group that was formed; the guys worked very hard and supported each other. I hope I can help them fulfill their dream of playing professionally in the future."
D.C. saw its first goal come in the final minutes of the first half, as United forward Erwin "Junior" Sanchez buried a perfectly placed shot under the outstretched arms of goalkeeper Thomas Hunter. United's Michael Funes followed with a goal of his own in the 74th minute off a corner kick. Chattanooga finally managed to find it's way onto the scoreboard in the 86th minute, but United was able to hold on and close out the summer session with a 2-1 victory.
Major League Soccer Stories from July 25, 2011
- Real Salt Lake Goalkeeper Nick Rimando Named One of Six Inactive All-Stars - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Academy to Open Generation adidas Cup Play Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC Striker Eric Hassli Named 2011 MLS All-Star - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Salvadorean-American Gerson Mayen Leaves Chivas USA - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Red Bulls Announce Traveling Roster, Broadcast Details for 2011 Emirates Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Red Bulls Midfielder Joel Lindpere Named to MLS All-Star Squad Inactive List - New York Red Bulls
- FC Barcelona's Travel Roster Unveiled - FC Dallas
- United Academy Set for Generation adidas Cup - D.C. United
- Dwayne De Rosario Selected as Inactive MLS All-Star - D.C. United
- FC Barcelona Announces Travel Roster for 2011 Herbalife World Football Challenge - D.C. United
- Independiente Announces Travel Roster for Tuesday Exhibition - Portland Timbers
- Houston Dynamo Announce Season Ticket Prices for 2012 Season in New Downtown Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- Rapids Midfielder Sanna Nyassi Named MLS Player of the Week - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting Kansas City Digs in at Home - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Looks to Extend Seven-Match Undefeated Streak in MLS Play - Real Salt Lake
- Union return to MLS play vs. Colorado Rapids at PPL Park - Philadelphia Union
- Registration Deadline Nears for First Budweiser Adult Summer Showdown - FC Dallas
- FC Dallas to compete in CONCACAF Champions League vs. Alianza FC Thursday - FC Dallas
- Rapids Visit Philadelphia Union For Match On Friday - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Fix Focus on Second Half of MLS Campaign - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.