The Washington Wild Things Fall to GrizzliesJuly 9, 2011 - Frontier League (FL) - Washington Wild Things
Consecutive Gateway home runs in the top of sixth inning put the Grizzlies in a lead that would not be overcome for the remainder of the game.
Washington's first hit of the game, was an out-of-the- park home run by second baseman Scott Lawson. However, the Wild Things' early lead came to an end in the top of the third inning when Gateway's left fielder Kent Gerst smacked a two-run homer, bringing in catcher Landon Hernandez. The Wild Things rallied in the fourth when Lawson singled to drive in Estee Harris.
The tied game was short-lived however. Gateway had back-to-back homers in the top of the sixth to give a 5-2 edge.
A single RBI by third baseman Ryan Ditthardt in the sixth inning drove in Tim Battle and upped the Wild Things' score by one making it 5-3. Gateway added to their lead in the seventh by one, and again in the ninth by two, which made the ultimate outcome of the game a loss for Washington of 8-3.
Washington starter, Justin Hall (4-3), a 2011 All-Star selection, pitched six innings, allowing five runs on five hits, with eight strike outs, and no walks. Ross Gusky, Davis Bilardello, and newcomer, Michael Cotter combined to pitch three innings.
Grizzlies starter Blake Barber (0-2) pitched 5.1 innings, with two runs, and four strike outs, walks, and hits. In relief, Paul Tremlin, Nick Walters, Richard Barrett, and Chris Enourato combined to finish the game, collectively pitching 3.9 innings.
The Washington Wild Things close out their three game series against the Gateway Grizzlies Sunday night at CONSOL Energy Park at 6:35 p.m. Pre-game coverage begins at 6:25 on 95.3 FM WJPA. To purchase tickets, visit www.washingtonwildthings.com, call 724-250-9555, or stop by the CONSOL Energy Park Box Office.
Frontier League Stories from July 9, 2011
- No extra base hits for Crushers in loss to Rascals - Lake Erie Crushers
- ThunderBolts defeat Miners - Windy City ThunderBolts
- ThunderBolts strike Miners - Southern Illinois Miners
- CornBelters drop second-straight to Joliet 6-2 - Normal CornBelters
- The Washington Wild Things Fall to Grizzlies - Washington Wild Things
- Burch, Triple Play Highlight 8-4 Bums' Win - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Grizzlies Hammer Wild Things On The Road - Gateway Grizzlies
- Beach Bums Defeat Freedom 8-4 - Florence Freedom
- James Returns to RiverHawks - Rockford RiverHawks
- Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- RiverHawks send Minium to DL - Rockford RiverHawks
- Bums drop opener - Traverse City Beach Bums
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.