Lakewood Walks off Again, Beats Hagerstown 1-0July 6, 2011 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Hagerstown Suns
by a score of 1-0 in 10 innings of play. Lakewood RHP Lisalberto Bonilla, who did not receive a decision, was dazzling through 9.0 scoreless innings in which he gave up five hits without walking a batter a striking out a season-high twelve batters. This is the fourth time the Suns have been shutout in the 2011 season.
Suns LHP Robbie Ray, who also did not factor into the decision, went 6.0 frames and surrendered four base hits without allowing a run, while walking two and fanning seven.
A scoreless stalemate carried through 9.5 innings of the rubber match until the game-winning run scored in the bottom of the 10th stanza. Lakewood began the three-game series with an RBI walk-off single from 3B Travis Mattair for an Independence Day triumph on Monday evening. Game two went to the Suns, 4-3, as Hagerstown plated three runs in the 8th inning on an RBI sacrifice fly from 2B Adrian Sanchez and a two-RBI double by RF Kevin Keyes.
Hagerstown RHP Ben Graham pitched 2.0 scoreless innings, the 7th and 9th frames, and gave up one walk amidst striking out a pair.
Lakewood RHP Lendy Castillo pitched a care-free 10th inning which featured just a walk to 3B Sean Nicol but no runs allowed.
The Suns had their leadoff man aboard in four of ten offensive innings but failed to manufacture a run.
In the bottom of the 10th stanza, Suns RHP Sam Brown, after tossing a scoreless 9th inning, gave up a leadoff single to C Cameron Rupp before C Jeff Lanning came out to pinch run for the 'Claws backstop. 2B Carlos Perdomo sacrificed Lanning to second base with a bunt. Then, SS Edgar Duran, as part of a 2-for-3 day at the plate, sliced an offering from Brown up the left field line for the game-winning RBI single scoring Lanning and giving Lakewood the series win.
Lakewood now has an (8-11) record against the Hagerstown Suns this season.
On getaway day, The Suns travel home to welcome the West Virginia Power of the Pittsburgh Pirates system to Municipal Stadium for a four-game series beginning tomorrow. Wall-to-wall broadcast coverage will begin with a 6:50pm Break Away 2 Sports Lounge Pre-game Show leading up to a 7:05pm first pitch. The pitching matchup is to be announced.
The Hagerstown Suns play at Municipal Stadium in Hagerstown, MD and are a Class "A" affiliate of the Washington Nationals. Season ticket packages, group outings, and corporate sponsorships are available by calling the Suns at 301-791-6266. Visit the Suns on the web at www.hagerstownsuns.com. The Suns are owned by Hagerstown Baseball, LLC.
South Atlantic League Stories from July 6, 2011
- Rome Comeback Snaps Savannah Winning Streak at 11 Games - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Shorebirds Top 'Dads, 5-4, in Rain-Shortened Game - Hickory Crawdads
- Greene, 'Dogs Avoid Sweep, Sting GreenJackets, 5-4 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Shorebirds Win Rain Shortened Game Three, 5-4 - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Sweep Evades GreenJackets in 5-4 Loss - Augusta GreenJackets
- Gnats Game Notes: Wednesday, July 6 Vs. Rome - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Brad Lidge to Rehab Again with Lakewood Thursday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Intimidators Squash Grasshoppers 8-2 In Road Sweep - Kannapolis Intimidators
- RHP Ryan Palsha placed on the Disabled List - Delmarva Shorebirds
- West Virginia Rallies, Tops Legends in 10, 7-5 - Lexington Legends
- BlueClaws Walk off Again 1-0 Wednesday Afternoon - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Lakewood Walks off Again, Beats Hagerstown 1-0 - Hagerstown Suns
- Salcedo Named Player of the Week - Rome Braves
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.