Fornataro, Rosario Lead Cardinals to Game One WinJune 27, 2011 - Florida State League (FSL) Palm Beach Cardinals
Fornataro (5-6, 4.16 ERA) allowed three hits and one earned run in a seven-inning complete game, walking one and striking out three along the way. The right-hander gave up just one hit after the first inning to pick up his team-high fifth victory of the season, second in a row, after dropping four straight.
The Hammerheads did their only damage against Fornataro in the first inning, beginning with a leadoff double from Dallas Poulk and a wild pitch to put a runner at third with nobody out. Danny Pertusati followed with a RBI-single to put Jupiter on the board quickly, but three straight groundouts ended any potential threat and kept the score at 1-0 until the fifth.
Palm Beach managed just two baserunners through four innings before Edgar Lara kept the fifth inning alive by reaching on an error by Jeff Dominguez at shortstop. Robert Stock added a single to right and Packy Elkins walked before Adam Melker delivered the eventual game-winning hit, a two-run single to center that put the Cardinals on top 2-1.
Alan Ahmady walked to lead off the sixth and moved to third on a ground-rule double by Xavier Scruggs, who kept his on-base streak alive at 25 games on a two-strike pitch. Rosario then took a 3-1 pitch over the wall in left, his sixth homer of the season, to cap the ultimate 5-1 winning score.
Jose Alvarez (6-5, 2.96 ERA) suffered the loss for the Hammerheads by allowing two unearned runs through five innings. Ramon Benjamin gave up the three-run shot to Rosario in his one inning of work.
For more information on the Palm Beach Cardinals, Class-A Advanced affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals, please call (561) 775-1818 or visit www.palmbeachcardinals.com . For tickets and more information regarding Roger Dean Stadium, please visit www.rogerdeanstadium.com .
Florida State League Stories from June 27, 2011
- Stone Crabs Blanked by Miracle, 4-0 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Brevard County doubled up by Tampa 6-3 - Brevard County Manatees
- Palm Beach Sweeps Doubleheader After 4-2 Victory - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Jupiter Still Searching For First Win of Second Half - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Mets Rebound with 5-2 Win - St. Lucie Mets
- Stuifbergen Sterling in 4-0 Shutout of Crabs - Fort Myers Miracle
- Marauders Slip in St. Lucie, 5-2 - Bradenton Marauders
- Fornataro, Rosario Lead Cardinals to Game One Win - Palm Beach Cardinals
- FSL Names Pitcher and Player of the Week - FSL
- Roger Dean Stadium to Host Mega Bash III - Palm Beach Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.