Farrell Homer Sinks SeaWolves, 5-4June 9, 2011 - Eastern League (EL) - Altoona Curve
Farrell's home run led off the eighth inning off SeaWolves reliever Ramon Garcia (1-2), who pitched a scoreless seventh before giving up the solo shot to start the eighth. Altoona had led a majority of the way before Erie tied it in the top half of the eighth off Aaron Thompson (3-5).
Altoona fell behind 2-0 in the fourth when Erie got a two-run homer from Francisco Martinez to open the scoring. The Curve responded in the bottom half of the frame when Quincy Latimore slugged his sixth home run of the year, his first at home, to put the Curve on the board. Farrell then reached on a single with one down and Tony Sanchez was hit by a pitch to put two on with one down.
Brad Chalk, who had three hits in the win, recorded the first of his three hits in the fourth to drive home Farrell and tie the game at two. Sanchez, who moved to third on the Chalk single, was then coming home on a squeeze as Greg Picart attempted to put down the bunt.
Picart missed the bunt, but the ball eluded SeaWolves catcher Bryan Holaday and Sanchez scored to put the Curve in front, 3-2. Brock Holt then brought Chalk in with an RBI double and Altoona led, 4-2.
Mike Colla started for the Curve and tossed six innings and allowed three runs on five hits with five strikeouts. He left with the lead in the sixth before the 'Wolves tied it late in the game.
Chalk, Holt and Farrell all had multi-hit games in the win for Altoona while Jordy Mercer's 13-game hitting streak came to a close as the shortstop went 0-for-4 at the plate.
Noah Krol pitched a perfect ninth, on nine pitches, for his 12th save of the season.
The Curve (30-29) will take to the road on Friday as they begin a short three-game road trip versus Reading at 7:05 p.m. from FirstEnergy Stadium. Altoona has yet to announce a starter while the R-Phils will send RHP B.J. Rosenberg (1-1, 2.56) to the hill in the first game.
Airtime on ESPN Radio 1430, WVAM and the Curve Radio Network is scheduled for 6:35 p.m.
Eastern League Stories from June 9, 2011
- Edell Effective, R-Phils Thump Thunder 4-1 Thursday - Reading Fightin Phils
- Homeruns Hurt Again as Thunder Lose Series - Trenton Thunder
- Farrell Homer Sinks SeaWolves, 5-4 - Altoona Curve
- Zach Stewart Earns Fourth Win as Fisher Cats Dump Baysox 8-2 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Flying Squirrels Soar Past Sea Dogs 7-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Surkamp Suppresses Sea Dogs as Squirrels Secure Series, 7-2 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Waring Homers Twice, Bowie Still Loses - Bowie Baysox
- 'Wolves Drop Series Finale in Altoona 5-4 - Erie SeaWolves
- Erie SeaWolves at Altoona Curve...Game Three of Three...Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Richmond Flying Squirrels Game Notes - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rock Cats Blast Akron, 14-3 - New Britain Rock Cats
- Early Deficit Too Much for Binghamton, 7-3 - Binghamton Mets
- Aeros Can't Solve New Britain's Scorching Bats in Rubber Match - Akron RubberDucks
- Senators Finish Road Trip with 7-3 Win Over Binghamton - Harrisburg Senators
- Baysox Host Scout Night Camp Out - Bowie Baysox
- Baysox Better Than Ties for Father's Day - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.