Moises Sierra Hits Ninth Home Run Sunday in 5-2 LossJune 5, 2011 - Eastern League (EL) New Hampshire Fisher Cats
Trenton (35-21) completed a three-game sweep of the Fisher Cats (35-21), moving into a tie for first place with New Hampshire.
The Thunder started strong with two runs in the bottom of the first inning. Ray Kruml reached on an infield single, stole second, and scored on a double by Corban Joseph (2-for-3, 2 2B, RBI). Joseph moved to third on a single by Cody Johnson (3-for-4, 2 RBI) and scored on a fielders choice by Jose Pirela to make it 2-0.
Sierra hit his home run, a solo shot to left field, with one out in the top of the second inning to make it 2-1. He has 37 RBI, which leads the Fisher Cats and ranks second in the Eastern League.
Trenton answered with three runs in the bottom of the second off losing pitcher Henderson Alvarez. Addison Maruszak singled and moved to third on a single by Yadil Mojica. Ryan Baker's sacrifice fly made it 3-1. After Joseph and Bradley Suttle drew walks, Johnson delivered a two-RBI single to give the Thunder a 5-1 lead.
The Fisher Cats scored in the top of the seventh inning when relief pitcher Josh Schmidt walked Callix Crabbe with the bases loaded.
Alvarez (2-1) suffered his first loss since joining the Fisher Cats, allowing five runs in 4.1 IP. Yohan Pino, Mike Hinckley and Bobby Korecky combined for 3.2 innings of scoreless relief.
Craig Heyer (5-3) worked a season-high 6.1 innings, allowing two runs on six hits with five strikeouts to earn the win. Schmidt struck out four in 1.2 innings and Tim Norton earned his sixth save working around a double by Mark Sobolewski in the 9th inning. Sobolewski extended his hit streak to 11 games.
After a scheduled off day on Monday, the Fisher Cats return to action on Tuesday, June 7 to play the Bowie Baysox at 7:05pm. It will be a CCSNH Reading Challenge Night, Indian Head Athletics Scholar Athlete Night and a Kraft Singles Tuesday where fans can buy one ticket and receive one free with a Kraft wrapper at the box office. For tickets, visit www.nhfishercats.com. Tickets are also now on sale for the 2011 Northeast Delta Dental Eastern League All-Star Game on July 13 in Manchester. To reach the ticket office, call (603) 641-2005.
The Fisher Cats expect to start Chad Beck (5-1, 3.90) against Bowie LHP Rick Zagone (1-4, 4.78). Radio coverage on the WGIR Fisher Cats Radio Network with Bob Lipman & Dick Lutsk begins at 6:45pm.
Eastern League Stories from June 5, 2011
- Altoona Falls in Front of Season-Best Crowd on Sunday Night - Altoona Curve
- Sea Dogs Dominate Curve for Fifth Straight Win - Portland Sea Dogs
- Ballard Blows Through Rock Cats - Bowie Baysox
- Squirrels Hold off R-Phils for Series Win, 6-4 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Aeros Win Finale with Binghamton behind Solid Outing from McFarland - Akron RubberDucks
- Binghamton Drops Finale in Akron, 6-3 - Binghamton Mets
- Moises Sierra Hits Ninth Home Run Sunday in 5-2 Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- You're Heyer-Ed Righty Completes Sweep - Trenton Thunder
- Senators Salvage Final Game in Erie with 7-4 Win - Box Score Attached - Harrisburg Senators
- Portland Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Richmond Flying Squirrels Game Notes - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Erie SeaWolves Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.