Dragons Double Up Beloit 4-2June 2, 2011 - Midwest League (MWL) Dayton Dragons
Dayton took a 2-0 lead in the first inning and never trailed. Billy Hamilton singled to right with one out, stole second, and scored on Dominic D'Anna's double to make it 1-0. D'Anna came in to scored on a two-out single to center field by Donald Lutz.
Beloit pushed a single run across against Smith in the top of the fourth, but the Dragons answered in the fifth. Hamilton tripled to left-center field with two outs and scored on a wild pitch to make it 3-1.
Beloit again pulled to within one run in the sixth at 3-2, but Smith was able to pitch out of further trouble in that inning and strand two base runners to preserve the lead.
Dayton closed out the scoring in the eighth when Lutz singled and scored on a triple by Yorman Rodriguez.
Smith (5-3) earned the victory. Over six innings, he allowed six hits and two earned runs with no walks and four strikeouts. Drew Hayes replaced Smith to start the seventh and struck out the first four batters he faced before allowing a one-out single in the eighth. Blaine Howell replaced Hayes and got the final five outs without allowing a base runner to earn his seventh save.
Dayton finished with 10 hits. Hamilton, D'Anna, and Lutz each had two. Hamilton also stole his 43rd base of the season.
The win lifted the Dragons to within five games of first place Lansing and to within two and one-half games of the wildcard leader, Bowling Green, with 16 games to play in the first-half race.
Dayton (27-27) will host the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (28-26) on Friday at 7:00 p.m. at Fifth Third Field in the first game of a three-game series. The game will be televised on WHIO Digital Channel 7.2 with former Reds infielder Chris Sexton providing color commentary. Daniel Corcino (6-3, 3.10) will start for Dayton. The Dragons consecutive game sell-out streak stands at 802, 12 short of the all-time sports record.
Notes: Tucker Barnhart went 0 for 3 in the game and was ejected in the sixth inning as his 13-game hitting streak came to an end.
Midwest League Stories from June 2, 2011
- LumberKings Hold off Fort Wayne 9-8 - Clinton LumberKings
- Well Dunn: Rattlers Beat Hot Rods 6-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Loons Walk off with the Series Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Clinton Outlasts TinCaps, 9-8 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fitzgerald Error Lifts Lugs In 9th, 4-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Whitecaps Swept By River Bandits - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Double Up Beloit 4-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Win 4-3 in Ninth Inning Thriller - Burlington Bees
- Chiefs Pound Out 20 Hits in 11-5 Win Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Ripple Whitecaps - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Jones Blasts Cougars Past Captains - Kane County Cougars
- Cougars Avoid Sweep, Beat Captains 4-2 - Lake County Captains
- River Bandits Unveil All-Star Week Events - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Barnhart, Hayes Selected as Dragons Players of the Month - Dayton Dragons
- Former LumberKing Maikel Cleto Called up to St. Louis - Clinton LumberKings
- Braun Returns to Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Big innings let Silver Hawks sink Kernels, 8-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Wins on School Day at the Cove - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Dragons MVPs to Celebrate at Fifth Third Field on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday for Thursday, June 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Roster Announced for Donald Driver Softball Game - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Fight Back Against Cancer - Burlington Bees
- Kernels Come From Behind To Edge South Bend, 8-7 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.