Kings Win Wild One in 10th at Fort WayneMay 31, 2011 - Midwest League (MWL) Clinton LumberKings
Right-hander Tyler Burgoon, protecting a 3-0 lead in the ninth, yielded three-straight hits including an RBI double by Tommy Medica that not only ended the shutout but also put the tying runs in scoring position with two outs. Burgoon recovered to strike out the next two hitters, but his first pitch to Wes Cunningham glanced off Steven Baron's mitt for a passed ball, scoring Luis Domoromo and moving Medica to third.
Burgoon (BS, 2, W, 2-1) induced a potential game-ending roller from Cunningham towards Romero at second base, but the ball went between his legs, sending Medica home and into a frenzied Fort Wayne dugout.
That frenzy wouldn't last long as Phillips greeted right-hander Adam Dominick (L, 2-2) with a double to left-center field. After the throw came back in, the entire TinCaps' infield gathered at the mound without an apparent call of time. Noticing, Phillips sprinted to third base and stood just 90 feet away from scoring the go-ahead run, amidst much-debate from the Fort Wayne players and acting manager Kory De Haan.
Kalian Sams, who replaced Julio Morban following an eighth-inning play at the plate, lifted Dominick's pitch to deep center field for a sacrifice fly that scored Phillips. Tim Morris tripled to right two batters later but would not score.
Right-hander Keli'i Zablan (S, 1) retired the first two batters he faced in the bottom of the 10th before allowing a single to Rymer Liriano. Liriano would bolt towards second on Zablan's final pitch, but would be left on base as Domoromo flied to Jabari Blash in center.
Prior to the wild final innings, the game had been a relatively smooth pitcher's duel. LumberKings' right-hander Taijuan Walker spun a three-hitter over 7.2 innings, walked one and struck out six. Burgoon relieved him with two outs and a runner on first base in the eighth, then worked out of a bases-loaded jam to keep the lead at 3-0.
Blash belted a two-run homer to left-center - his third as a LumberKing - in the fifth inning to give Clinton the 2-0 lead over TinCaps' ace right-hander Keyvius Sampson. Sampson left after 5.0 innings with two runs on three hits, one walk and three strikeouts.
Carlos Ramirez singled and scored on a fielding error by shortstop B.J. Guinn to push the Kings' lead to 3-0 in the eighth inning.
Blash finished 2-for-3 with the home run, a run scored and two RBI to lead the way for the LumberKings. Both Liriano and Domoromo went 2-for-5 with a run scored each for the TinCaps.
The LumberKings (15-38) continue the three-game series with the TinCaps (23-28) at Parkview Field tomorrow night, first pitch scheduled for 6:05 PM central time. Right-hander George Mieses (1-6, 6.47) gets the starting nod for Clinton as he goes up against Fort Wayne right-hander Zach Cates (1-3, 3.67). Listen to the game on AM 1390 KCLN in Clinton or live on the web at 1390kcln.com.
Midwest League Stories from May 31, 2011
- Nominate a Hero of the Day - Peoria Chiefs
- Patterson Red Hot in Loons Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Silver Hawks Shutout Cedar Rapids at Home - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Tinoco Saves The Day With Game-Winning Hit - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Top Rattlers In Ten Innings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Six Run First Too Much For Chiefs to Overcome Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars Drop Opener in Ohio - Kane County Cougars
- Late Rally Falls Short in Error-Filled Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Sneak Past Loons 1-0 in 10 Innings - Burlington Bees
- Lavisky Powers Captains by Cougars 9-4 - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps rally, lose 4-3 in extras - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bandits Take Series Opener - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kings Win Wild One in 10th at Fort Wayne - Clinton LumberKings
- Ray's Slam Lifts Snappers over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Webb Spins Gem As Lugs Power Past Peoria - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougar Earns Promotion to Wilmington - Kane County Cougars
- Horst Becomes 48th Former Dragon to Reach Majors - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Launch Free Android App - Great Lakes Loons
- Hauser Promoted, Fuentes and Choi Added to Roster - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Announce Nominees for Players of the Month - Dayton Dragons
- Liriano Named Player of Week - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Macias Earns League Honors - Burlington Bees
- Dragons Announce Roster Changes - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Homestand Continues Through Sunday - Lake County Captains
- Home Run for Life to be Celebrated on Wednesday, June 1st - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday for Tuesday, May 31 - Dayton Dragons
- Conquer the Concourse at Parkview Field - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- "Rock the Park" Featuring Stone Temple Pilots Coming to Classic Park on July 19 - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.