Round Rock Express Halt Skid, Top Redhawks 5-4April 25, 2011 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Round Rock Express
Round Rock sent eight batters to the plate in the seventh and erased a 2-1 Oklahoma City lead. Kevin Cash got the rally started with a flare RBI single down the right-field line. After Esteban German walked to load the bases, Chavez drilled Wesley Wright's 2-0 offering into the left-center alley, clearing the bases. That gave the Express their first lead of the game, which they never relinquished. Oklahoma City closed the gap with a pair of runs in the eighth but could get no closer.
Ryan Tucker (1-1) picked up the victory in relief, tossing 1.2 no-hit scoreless innings with one walk and two strikeouts. Starter Zach Jackson worked 5.1 innings and surrendered two runs on seven hits and three walks with three strikeouts. Zach Phillips pitched a perfect ninth with two strikeouts for his third save.
Ross Wolf (0-1) suffered the loss for Oklahoma City, allowing four runs on two hits, a walk and a hit batter with one strikeout over 1.1 innings. He left the game after walking German to load the bases in the eighth. Starter Ryan Rowland-Smith lasted 5.1 innings and allowed one run on four hits and two walks with four strikeouts.
Oklahoma City struck first with a run on three hits in the first, but the Express avoided further damage. Koby Clemens delivered a one-out RBI single, but Jackson then induced an inning-ending double play from Robinson Cancel. It proved to be a recurring theme for Express pitchers, who were supported by four inning-ending double plays on the night - the last of which allowed Tucker to escape a bases-loaded jam in the sixth.
Joey Butler's two-out RBI triple in the bottom of the second tied the game at 1-1. Oklahoma City recaptured the lead in the third on Clemens' RBI fielder's choice. In the eighth, Brian Bogusevic delivered a one-out RBI single, and Tommy Manzella followed with an RBI fielder's choice. Manzella nearly was the victim of a fifth inning-ending, double-play; however, Express third baseman Brian Barden struggled getting the ball out of his glove and only was able to get the force at second.
Chavez finished the game 3-for-4 with three RBI. Gentry scored twice. Anderson Hernandez had Oklahoma City's lone multiple-hit game, going 2-for-4.
Round Rock and Oklahoma City conclude their four-game series Tuesday with a 7:05 p.m. CDT first pitch at The Dell Diamond. Right-hander Derek Hankins (3-0, 4.24 ERA) is scheduled to start for the Express, while left-hander Douglas Arguello (0-1, 3.86 ERA) will start for the RedHawks.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 25, 2011
- Reno Rallies Late For 6-2 Win Over Fresno - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Walk-Off With 7-6 Win Over Z's - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Montanez Leads Iowa Past Memphis - Memphis Redbirds
- Sky Sox Defeat 51s 6-5 For Fifth Straight Victory - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Isotopes Walk Off With 7-6 Win - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Montanez Leads Cubs Over Redbirds - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express Halt Skid, Top Redhawks 5-4 - Round Rock Express
- Giavotella's Late Hit Leads Storm Chasers Over Sounds - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Rally For Monday Win Over RedHawks - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Ninth-Inning Run Leads Omaha Past Sounds, 2-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Amarista Gets First Major League Call-Up - Salt Lake Bees
- Evan Scribner Recalled by San Diego Padres - Tucson Padres
- Ely Earns PCL Pitcher of the Week Honors - Albuquerque Isotopes
- IF Clint Barmes Joins RedHawks for Pair of Games - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes Vs. Oklahoma City RedHawks - Round Rock Express
- River Cats Jai Miller Earns Pacific Coast League Player of the Week - Sacramento River Cats
- Rojo Johnson Returns to Central Texas - Round Rock Express
- PCL Names Player and Pitcher of the Week - PCL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.