Curve Win Shootout In Harrisburg, 8- 7April 25, 2011 - Eastern League (EL) Altoona Curve
Altoona was able to score in each of the first five innings but it would be the two runs that came across in the fifth that put the Curve up for good. With Eric Fryer and Jeremy Farrell on the bases, Shelby Ford drove in both Farrell and Fryer to put the Curve up, 7-6. Altoona added what turned out to be the deciding run in the seventh on a RBI single by Brad Chalk that brought home Farrell to put the Curve up two at the time.
The Senators were able to scratch out a run in the ninth off of closer Noah Krol when Derek Norris singled in Tyler Moore to cut the lead to one. Krol then induced a ground out off the bat of Adam Fox to end the game.
It was a slugfest from the get-go on City Island as each team scored runs in each of the first three innings. Altoona jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after two batters when Marte singled in Holt, who had doubled to start the game.
Harrisburg immediately tied the game in the bottom of the first off starter Jeff Locke (1-2) when Steve Lombardozzi homered to start the game for the Sens. Locke went on to allow six runs over the first three innings but settled down to pitch a scoreless final two innings to earn his first win of the season. The North Conway, N.H. native struck out a season-high 10 batters, one shy of his career-high of 11.
Holt and Marte combined to go 8-for-10 with four runs scored and a two RBI from the top two spots in the lineup card. With the hits, Marte extends his league-best hitting streak and consecutive games on base streak to 13 and 15 games, respectively. Farrell went 3-for-4 with a home run two RBI, three runs scored and a double.
The Curve (8-8) will send former Nationals farmhand and 2010 Senator Aaron Thompson (2-1, 2.08) to the mound in Game 2 on Tuesday night at Metro Bank Park. He'll be opposed by RHP Erik Davis (0-0, 1.86) in the 7 p.m. contest.
Airtime is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. on ESPN Radio 1430, WVAM and the Curve Radio Network.
Eastern League Stories from April 25, 2011
- Kruml's Big Night Not Enough, Thunder Fall in Richmond - Trenton Thunder
- Curve Win Shootout In Harrisburg, 8- 7 - Altoona Curve
- Squirrels Get Six In The Sixth To Sink Thunder, 9-5 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- B-Mets Take Opener From Portland, 6-3 - Binghamton Mets
- Binghamton Beats Portland 6-3 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Senators Reward Fans of the Hershey Bears Tuesday Night - Harrisburg Senators
- Sierra Homers But Fisher Cats Fall to Rock Cats - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Aeros/Baysox Game Postponed Due to Rain - Akron Aeros
- Aeros / Baysox Game Postponed - Akron Aeros
- Brad Peacock Wins Pitcher of the Week - Harrisburg Senators
- 'Wolves and Phillies Postponed Due to Rain - Erie SeaWolves
- B-Mets Josh Satin Named Player of the Week - Binghamton Mets
- Eastern League Names Pitcher and Player of the Week - EL
- Mustache Mania Returns to Bowie - Bowie Baysox
- Richmond Flying Squirrels Game Notes - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Baysox Host Date Night at the Diamond - Bowie Baysox
- Sea Dogs Announce Make-Up Date for April 23 Rain Out - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.