PCL Names Player and Pitcher of the WeekApril 25, 2011 - Pacific Coast League (PCL)
On April 20th against the Iowa Cubs, Ely fell one out short from throwing the first no-hitter in the PCL this season. Ely held the I-Cubs without a hit until a two-out double by Marquez Smith in the seventh inning of the second game of a doubleheader erased the right-hander's no-hit bid. Ely went on to finish the game to post his first career shutout and his third career complete game. The one-hit allowed tied Ely's career-low in a start, a feat he has now achieved four times, with the last being on July 17th, 2009 when he pitched for the Double-A Birmingham Barons.
Originally drafted by the Chicago White Sox in the third round of the 2007 First-Year Player Draft, Ely was acquired by the Los Angeles Dodgers in a trade in December of 2009. The Miami University (OH) product made a combined 31 starts between Albuquerque and Los Angeles in 2010, going 4-10 with a 5.49 ERA in the 18 Major League starts. This season, the 24-year-old made one start for the Dodgers before being optioned to the Isotopes on April 12th, where he has since made two starts.
Miller led all PCL hitters with a .571 batting average (12-for-21), .600 on-base percentage and 1.286 slugging percentage in his six games over the last week. The 26-year-old added a league-best four home runs, all of which occurred during a four-game series against the Reno Aces. Miller went 10-for-17 (.588) with seven extra-base hits, eight RBI and seven runs scored in the four-game set against Reno.
A veteran of nine seasons in professional baseball, Miller signed a Minor League contract with the Oakland A's in November of 2010 after spending time with the A's and the Kansas City Royals organizations during the 2010 season. The Selma High School (AL) product played in 10 games for the River Cats last year before being claimed off waivers by the Royals in late April. With the addition of his five home runs this season, Miller has hit 99 homers in his pro career.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 25, 2011
- Reno Rallies Late For 6-2 Win Over Fresno - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Walk-Off With 7-6 Win Over Z's - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Montanez Leads Iowa Past Memphis - Memphis Redbirds
- Sky Sox Defeat 51s 6-5 For Fifth Straight Victory - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Isotopes Walk Off With 7-6 Win - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Montanez Leads Cubs Over Redbirds - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express Halt Skid, Top Redhawks 5-4 - Round Rock Express
- Giavotella's Late Hit Leads Storm Chasers Over Sounds - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Rally For Monday Win Over RedHawks - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Ninth-Inning Run Leads Omaha Past Sounds, 2-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Amarista Gets First Major League Call-Up - Salt Lake Bees
- Evan Scribner Recalled by San Diego Padres - Tucson Padres
- Ely Earns PCL Pitcher of the Week Honors - Albuquerque Isotopes
- IF Clint Barmes Joins RedHawks for Pair of Games - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes Vs. Oklahoma City RedHawks - Round Rock Express
- River Cats Jai Miller Earns Pacific Coast League Player of the Week - Sacramento River Cats
- Rojo Johnson Returns to Central Texas - Round Rock Express
- PCL Names Player and Pitcher of the Week - PCL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.