Storm Chasers Blank Redbirds 1-0April 21, 2011 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Omaha Storm Chasers
Mike Moustakas quickly got the Chasers on the board in the first. After David Lough singled and Eric Hosmer walked with one out, Moustakas ripped a 1-2 offering from Lance Lynn (1-2) back through the box to score Lough from third. Lynn buckled down from there, allowing just two more Storm Chasers hits over the next seven innings. Moustakas improved his team-best hitting streak to nine games, in which he has exactly nine hits to his credit.
That lone run in the first would prove to be all the Omaha pitchers would need, though they did their best to keep things interesting. Duffy allowed seven baserunners in 4.1 innings, Holland five baserunners in 2.0 innings and Mendoza two in 2.1 innings. Ten timely strikeouts, five with runners in scoring position, held the Redbirds at bay and kept the Chasers in the lead. Duffy was removed after throwing 86 pitches, with his outing highlighted by a 1-2-3 second inning in which he struck out the side.
Omaha also came up two stellar defensive plays. Facing his first batter with two on and one out in the seventh, Mendoza got Freddie Bynum to line out into a 4-6 double play, with second baseman Giavotella celebrating with a jumping fist pump as third base umpire Barry Larson signaled the out call at second. Earlier, shortstop Lance Zawadzki turned in a highlight reel play as he fielded what looked like a sure single behind the bag at second, pirouetted in mid-air and launched a strike to first base, nipping Aaron Luna for the out.
The Chasers (8-7), who are above .500 for the first time in 2011 and have already clinched the series victory by winning the first three contests, will send lefthander Mike Montgomery to the mound Friday in search of the sweep. Memphis (4-10) will counter with righthander Adam Ottavino, who is holding opponents to just a .159 average through 11.1 innings. First pitch for the season's first Friday Fireworks presented by American Family Insurance is set for 7:05.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 21, 2011
- Aces Falter Late, Drop 11-10 Decision To Sacremento - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Wins Sixth Straight, 6-3 Over RedHawks - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Storm Chasers Blank Redbirds 1-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds Win 8-7 In New Orleans With Go-Ahead Pinch-Hit Homer - Nashville Sounds
- Zephyrs Mount Comeback, Only To Fall To Sounds, 8-7 - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Round Rock Express Push Streak To Six Games - Round Rock Express
- Cubs Club 'Topes 9-4 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Lou's Blast Sends I-Cubs over Topes, 9-4 - Iowa Cubs
- Sky Sox Announce 2011 Luxury Suite Renovations - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Zack Greinke to Rehab with Sounds on Sunday at Greer - Nashville Sounds
- Bryan Stow Fundraiser Highlights Easter Homestand - Fresno Grizzlies
- Castillo, Jackson Added to Iowa Roster - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Oklahoma City RedHawks - Round Rock Express
- Isotopes Launch Smart Phone App - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Green Awareness, Easter and Ballpark Babies Highlight River Cats Homestand - Sacramento River Cats
- Bees and Orbit Irrigation to Give out 1,000 Trees - Salt Lake Bees
- Tucson Strings Together Wins - Tucson Padres
- Rainiers Rally to 4-3 Win Over Colorado Springs - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.