Zephyrs Mount Comeback, Only To Fall To Sounds, 8-7April 21, 2011 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) New Orleans Zephyrs
The Zephyrs were down early, trailing the Sounds 6-0 after two and a half innings on a two-run double by Martin Maldonado, a pair of sacrifice flies and run-scoring singles by Brett Carroll and Chris Nowak.
The Z's got on the board in the bottom of the third after Ryan Klosterman singled to left, and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by Adalberto Mendez.
Bryan Petersen then doubled down the right field line, which extended his hit streak to seven games, to score Klosterman. Petersen scored on a single by Vinny Rottino to cut the deficit to 6-2.
Chris Aguila sliced the lead to two in the fourth on a two-run homer, his third of the year.
The Zephyrs came all the way back to take the lead in the seventh. Petersen and Rottino walked to lead off the frame, and Sounds manager Don Money was ejected for arguing the strike zone.
Petersen scored when Ruben Gotay reached on a throwing error while laying down a sacrifice bunt, allowing Rottino to move to third. Aguila then hit a two-run double just out of the reach of center fielder Brett Carroll, giving the Z's their first lead.
The Sounds answered right back in the eighth when pinch-hitter Mike Rivera blasted a two-run homer over the left field wall off Frank Mata to retake the lead, 8-7.
Nashville relievers Manny Parra and Justin James held the Zephyrs at bay over the final two innings, with James earning his first save of the year.
Mendez gave up six runs in five innings, while Mata (0-1) was charged with the loss and the blown save as he gave up two runs in two innings.
Mark DeFelice (1-0) got credit for the victory by pitching two-thirds of an inning.
The Zephyrs return to action on Friday night for the series finale as they look to win the series against the Sounds. Elih Villanueva (1-1) takes the mound for the Z's going against Amaury Rivas(2-1).
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 21, 2011
- Aces Falter Late, Drop 11-10 Decision To Sacremento - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Wins Sixth Straight, 6-3 Over RedHawks - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Storm Chasers Blank Redbirds 1-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds Win 8-7 In New Orleans With Go-Ahead Pinch-Hit Homer - Nashville Sounds
- Zephyrs Mount Comeback, Only To Fall To Sounds, 8-7 - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Round Rock Express Push Streak To Six Games - Round Rock Express
- Cubs Club 'Topes 9-4 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Lou's Blast Sends I-Cubs over Topes, 9-4 - Iowa Cubs
- Sky Sox Announce 2011 Luxury Suite Renovations - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Zack Greinke to Rehab with Sounds on Sunday at Greer - Nashville Sounds
- Bryan Stow Fundraiser Highlights Easter Homestand - Fresno Grizzlies
- Castillo, Jackson Added to Iowa Roster - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Oklahoma City RedHawks - Round Rock Express
- Isotopes Launch Smart Phone App - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Green Awareness, Easter and Ballpark Babies Highlight River Cats Homestand - Sacramento River Cats
- Bees and Orbit Irrigation to Give out 1,000 Trees - Salt Lake Bees
- Tucson Strings Together Wins - Tucson Padres
- Rainiers Rally to 4-3 Win Over Colorado Springs - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.