Koehler stymies Express, Z's win sixth straightApril 15, 2011 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) - New Orleans Zephyrs Press Release
Koehler shut out the Round Rock Express on three hits over six innings, and the New Orleans Zephyrs extended their winning streak to six games with a 4-0 blanking of their division rivals before a crowd of 10,768 in the Zephyrs' home opener.
The Z's have now won six in a row for the first time since July 12-21, 2008.
Only one batter reached third base in Koehler's six innings, after Chad Tracy doubled with one out in the fourth and advanced to third on a ground out. Koehler (1-0) then got Brad Nelson to bounce out to first to end the threat.
The Zephyrs' right-hander struck out the side in the second, and finished with five strikeouts.
New Orleans got all the offensive support they needed via a pair of home runs. Josh Kroeger belted a one-out solo homer in the second, and Bryan Petersen took advantage of back-to-back walks in the seventh by sending a 1-2 offering from Yhency Brazoban over the wall in right field, bumping the lead to 4-0.
Jay Buente fanned four batters in two innings of relief, and Steve Cishek worked around a two-out walk in the ninth to nail down the Zephyrs' second combined shutout of the season.
The Zephyrs pitching staff has a 1.37 ERA over its last five games, allowing just seven earned runs in 46 innings.
New Orleans will look for a seventh consecutive victory on Saturday night, when the series with Round Rock resumes at 6:00 p.m. Right-hander Adalberto Mendez (1-0) will face Tanner Scheppers, who will be making his 2011 debut.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 15, 2011
- Isotopes handcuffed by 'Hawks - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Reno Bighorns Second Round Playoff Tickets to Go on Sale Saturday - Reno Aces
- RedHawks Barrage Supports Nieve in Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Blanked in Opener at New Orleans 4-0 - Round Rock Express
- Koehler stymies Express, Z's win sixth straight - New Orleans Zephyrs
- RedHawks Make Roster Moves - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Game Notes at New Orleans - Round Rock Express
- I-Cubs Home Opener Rained Out - Iowa Cubs
- I-Cubs Call-Up Snyder - Iowa Cubs
- Kirkman Recalled by Rangers - Round Rock Express
- Junior Grizzlies Begin Another Season at Field of Dreams - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sounds Road Opener Rained Out - Nashville Sounds
- Opening Night Moved to Saturday - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tucson Padres Announce Homestand Promotions - Tucson Padres
- Grizzlies Come Through in a Pinch - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.