Playoff Possibility UpdateMarch 23, 2011 - Central Hockey League (CHL) Tulsa Oilers
The Oilers are currently tied with Texas for third place with identical records of 33-25-5 for 71 points. Texas holds the tie breaker edge based on the first tiebreaker which is most wins, excluding shootout wins. Texas currently has 31 non-shootout wins and the Oilers have 30. Each team has three games remaining.
The Oilers will finish in either third or fourth place. They have the potential to tie Bossier-Shreveport in points for second place but Bossier-Shreveport would have the first tie breaker (already has 34 non shootout wins and the Oilers can finish with a potential 33 non shootout wins). Thus the Oilers can not finish second.
With the Oilers finishing in third or fourth place, they will play the team that finishes in fifth or sixth place. If the Oilers finish third, they will play the number six team. If Tulsa finishes fourth they will play the team that finishes fifth.
Potential Opponents The only teams that can finish fourth or fifth are Odessa, Mississippi and Arizona. Arizona can not finish fifth but could catch Mississippi for sixth place. Odessa has 67 points with two games left. Mississippi has 63 points with three games left. Arizona has 59 points with two games left. Arizona has the potential to tie Mississippi in points and the potential to have the first tie breaker for sixth place.
The Oilers will have home ice advantage in the opening round of the playoffs which will be a best three out of five series.
Central Hockey League Stories from March 23, 2011
- Mallards Roll Past Bloomington 5-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Komets Stone Gems 1-0 - Fort Wayne Komets
- PrairieThunder Drops 5-2 Decision at Quad City on Wednesday - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Gems Shutout by Komets, 1-0 - Dayton Gems
- Join Us Friday for Fan Appreciation Night - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Medicine Hat Tigers Dubyk Named Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week - CHL
- RGV's Aaron Lewicki Named Rookie of the Year - CHL
- Lewicki Honored as CHL Rookie of the Year - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- 67's' Tyler Toffoli Named CHL Player of the Week - CHL
- Tigers' Deven Dubyk Named Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week - CHL
- RiverKings Claim Mironovic off Waivers - Mississippi RiverKings
- Graham Recalled by Lake Erie - Allen Americans
- Playoff Possibility Update - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.