IceHogs Battle Past Rivermen 4-2February 25, 2011 - American Hockey League (AHL) Peoria Rivermen
The Rivermen (33-22-2-2, 71 pts.) now sit in a tie for third place with the Texas Stars but remain four points behind the Milwaukee Admirals (33-16-2-7).
Neither team could find the back of the net in the first, but the gloves dropped twice. Just 49 seconds into the game Chris Porter and Shawn Lalonde exchanged punches and with 6 minutes to go Brett Sonne and Kyle Hagel squared off.
Peoria thought they had the game's first goal just 4:16 into the opening period but Dave Scatchard's goal was disallowed because it was ruled he played it in with his hand.
Nathan Oystrick opened the scoring at 5:34 of the second with his 12th of the year on the man-advantage, unassisted. His dump-in bounced off the glass and found its way back on his stick in the slot. Oystrick faked a shot to get Richards down, drifted to the left and lifted a shot into the top of net.
Rockford answered on a power play of their own at 10:38 on Ryan Potulny's 20th of the year. Potulny came streaking in on the right side and put a backhand toward the five-hole of Jake Allen. Allen got most of the shot, but not enough as it trickled a couple inches over the goal line. Brian Connelly and Ryan Stanton picked up the assists on the goal.
Less than 2 minutes later Taffe gave the IceHogs their first lead of the game. His quick shot from the top of the left circle beat Jake Allen for his 20th of the year. Connelly and Stanton chipped in again with assists on the goal.
Mark Cundari tied the game for the Rivermen on the power play at 16:51. Derek Nesbitt fed Cundari in the high-slot and snapped a quick shot off the right post and in. It was his seventh of the year and fifth on the power play.
Taffe's second gave Rockford the lead for good and gave the IceHogs their second power-play goal of the period in as many tries.
The Rivermen managed just three shots to the IceHogs 10 in the final frame and also were unable to put one by Richards. Rob Klinkhammer put his eighth of the year into an empty net with 6 seconds remaining to close out the scoring.
Both the Rivermen and the IceHogs went 2-for-5 on the man advantage while Rockford outshot Peoria 27-24.
The Rivermen wore special replica jerseys from the 1990-91 season that were auctioned off after the game to benefit the Children's Hospital of Illinois.
The Rivermen head to Chicago to take on the Wolves Saturday night at 7 p.m. at the Allstate Arena. The game can be heard locally on 96.5 ESPN in Peoria or online at www.rivermen.net.
American Hockey League Stories from February 25, 2011
- P-Bruins Shutout Heat 4-0 - Providence Bruins
- IceHogs Battle Past Rivermen 4-2 - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins Beat Back Monsters, 5-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Beat Devils 5-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Shoot Past Checkers 4-3 - Norfolk Admirals
- Aeros Slip By Stars 4-3 In Overtime - Texas Stars
- Taffe's Tallies Help End Rockford's Losing Streak - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Bitten By Wolves - Milwaukee Admirals
- Cullen's Four-point Night Lifts Amerks Over Moose 5-3 - Rochester Americans
- Barons Slip Past Rampage 3-2 - San Antonio Rampage
- Sharks fall to Pirates 3-2 in Shootout - Worcester Sharks
- A Picture's Worth a Monarchs W - Manchester Monarchs
- Checkers Erase Three-goal Deficit, Fall In Shootout - Charlotte Checkers
- Bulldogs Power Past Phantoms 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Bumped by Binghamton, 7-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Cast Away Admirals, 2-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Point Streak Ends at Seven - Adirondack Phantoms
- Pirates Sink Sharks With Shootout Victory - Portland Pirates
- Moose Can't Match Amerks In 5-3 Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Devils Cool Down With Loss At Springfield - Albany Devils
- Monarchs Hang on for 4-3 Win Over Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Predators Recall Geoffrion, Halischuk - Milwaukee Admirals
- Ladies Night, Star Wars Night and Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Atlanta Assigns Maxwell to Chicago - Chicago Wolves
- Coyotes Recall MacLean from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Labatt's Celebrity Bartending Series Continues - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Reel in Hook for Ticket Staff - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Griffins Welcome Back Mursak - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Host Annual Floor Hockey Clinic - Springfield Falcons
- Oilers Recall Barons Goaltender Martin Gerber - Oklahoma City Barons
- Gustafsson Recalled by Philadelphia - Adirondack Phantoms
- Lightning Recall Goaltender Mike Smith from Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- B-Sens Season Tickets Go on Sale Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Playoff Push Continues - Falcons Host Devils Tonight - Springfield Falcons
- Gameday Preview - Texas at Houston - Texas Stars
- B-Sens Reassign Defenseman Brennan Turner to Gwinnett - Binghamton Senators
- Senators Recall Forwards Corey Locke and Roman Wick from Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Goaltender Jaroslav Janus Reassigned to Admirals from ECHL's Florida Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Day: Amerks Look to Avoid Sweep Tonight Against Moose - Rochester Americans
- Panthers Recall Trio from Amerks; Reassign Ellerby to Rochester - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.