Griffins Ground Aeros, 3-2 in ShootoutJanuary 16, 2011 - American Hockey League (AHL) Grand Rapids Griffins
Wrapping up their season series against the Aeros (24-18-1-3), the Griffins (19-19-1-4) move one-step closer to completing a season-high six-game road trip before returning home to Van Andel next weekend. Grand Rapids will complete their Texas road-trip Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. EST, when travel to Austin to take on the Texas Stars at the Cedar Park Center.
Houston was quick off the draw, landing on the board first with an unassisted goal by Robbie Earl at 7:05 of the first period. Shortly after, Jon DiSalvatore slipped the puck to Patrick O'Sullivan, who knocked one past Jordan Pearce at the nine minute mark giving the Aeros a 2-0 advantage heading into the second period.
A brief exchange of fists between Drew Bagnall and Adam Keefe just 20 seconds into the period, proved to be the only action until the Griffins found the net late in the frame. Greg Amadio launched a quick pass to Jamie Tardif, who fired off a goal unseen by Matt Hackett at 15:41, narrowing Houston's lead 2-1.
Derek Meech rallied for the Griffins, finding the net at 9:42 of the third period to tie the score 2-2. Meech claimed his second goal against the Aeros this weekend, after tallying the Griffins only goal last night. After sending the game to a shootout, Minard claimed the 3-2 win with quick shot past the glove of Hackett.
Pearce tallied 24 saves for Grand Rapids and went 4 for 6 in the shootout while, Houston goalie, Hackett posted 35 saves and stopped 3 of 6.
Three Stars: 1. GR Minard (SO goal); 2. HOU Earl (1 goal); 3. GR Meech (1 goal)
American Hockey League Stories from January 16, 2011
- Whale Tops AHL's Best 6-3 - Connecticut Whale
- B-Sens Edge Bears 2-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Second-Period Charge Leads Admirals Over Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Griffins Ground Aeros, 3-2 in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Scared Away by Monsters in 6-4 Loss; Drop Fourth Straight - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Take Over Second Place with 4-2 Victory at Charlotte - Norfolk Admirals
- Senators Slide Past Bears 2-1 Sunday - Hershey Bears
- Aeros Take Sole Possession of Third Place with Shootout Point - Houston Aeros
- Rampage Drop 5-2 Decision to Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Bruins Assign Bartkowski to Providence - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Halt Rampage, 5-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Iced by Adirondack, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Offense Lights it Up with Season-High 5 Goals - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Fire 45 Shots in 2-0 Loss in Providence - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Sink Sharks 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Halsichuk, Thuresson Switch Spots - Milwaukee Admirals
- Heat Fall in Shootout 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Falcons Lose to Pirates 4-1 - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Out-Distance Falcons - Portland Pirates
- Coyotes Recall Maclean from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Blues Return Ian Cole to Peoria - Peoria Rivermen
- Netminder Pasquale Rejoins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Preview: Aeros, Griffins Collide at 4 P.M. - Houston Aeros
- B-Sens Sign Forward Andrew Sweetland - Binghamton Senators
- Game Night: Amerks, Monsters Square off Again Tonight at Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Senators Recall Goaltender Mike Brodeur from Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.